Norfolk Ladies get season up and running in Twenty20 competition
- Credit: Archant
Following a difficult season last summer in a higher division, the Norfolk Ladies team are in a rebuilding phase, having lost three key players to different sports.
The squad have shown their aptitude without much luck in their 50-over matches against Suffolk, Lincolnshire, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire.
With the advent of the T20 season, the team, sponsored by SG Wealth Management, came up against a similarly youthful Buckinghamshire side.
With Jade Hoyte (3–18) and Anoushka Williamson (3-8) leading the way and skipper Emily Woodhouse conceding just 10 runs from her four overs, Bucks were restricted to just 70-8.
Norfolk batsmen Beth Harmer (20 not out), Robyn Edge (22) and Woodhouse (14 not out) made short work of the chase, winning by nine wickets with more than five overs left.
You may also want to watch:
The second match against a powerful Suffolk side was much harder going. The evergreen Peggy Tirimanna (20 not out) gamely held the innings together, but Norfolk struggled throughout, finally posting a below-par 86 all out. Despite Williamson again bowling admirably, taking 2-11 in four overs, Suffolk won by eight wickets.
Norfolk Ladies face Buckinghamshire and Cambridgeshire in their next T20 day on Sunday.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 8 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 9 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 10 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
Norfolk Under-15s, sponsored by CEYMS, have had a great start to the season, with five wins from six. There have been some great bowling and batting performances from the team. which includes four new girls to the squad.
Remaining fixtures: July 9 v Cambs (a), July 16 v July Beds (a), July 25 v Suffolk and Herts (ECB T20 at Garboldisham), July 31 Berks (a), August 4 v Suffolk (h, Vauxhall Mallards), August 29 Cambs & Herts in ECB T20.
The Norfolk Under-13s have had a positive first half of the season. The team have won matches against Bedfordshire and Huntingdonshire and have narrowly lost others in close games. They hit 230-2 against Bedfordshire and bowled Hunts out for 44. The girls play Suffolk at Hockwold on Sunday and there are further games on July 9 (Cambridgeshire at Caldecote CC) and July 24 (Bedfordshire at Garboldisham).