Norfolk Ladies edged out in Atherley Trophy thriller
- Credit: Archant
Norfolk Ladies suffered a narrow defeat in the quarter-finals of the Atherley Trophy on Sunday.
In a topsy turvy encounter at Chesterton Indoor Bowling Club the visitors were edged out by just one shot overall, losing 122-121.
Norfolk bowled well and did not deserve to lose, but games don't always go in favour of the team which performs the best and this is certainly true of what happened in this match.
The score swung back and forth between the two sides with first one in front and then the other, the shots difference varying from one to 19.
Norfolk, having led from end 14 to end 20, went into the last end three shots up.
You may also want to watch:
With only two rinks to finish they led by seven but then dropped a five and a three to lose the game by one.
The rink of Wendy Bryant, Carol Fenn, Carol Neave, Linda Blake had it all to do but eventually came out winners by 19 shots to 17.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 7 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 8 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 9 Firefighters tackling smoking car after crash near pub
- 10 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
Ann Leverett, Beverley Masters, Louise Catchpole, Louise Hannant also had a tough game but again came out on top 22 shots to 18.
Sue Gravenor, Pat Last, Pat Baker and Marion Himpleman were only one down on the 20th end but dropped a three to lose 20-24.
Pauline Wright, Louise Knights, Rebecca Field and Jayne Roylance had it all to do against a strong side skipped by Val Newson and lost 16-29, dropping five shots on their last end.
Rebecca Carter, Pearl Wilson, Mary Johnson, Joyce Webster lost 16-19 after a tough tussle.
Anne Read, Maureen Emment, Jenny Morrison and Carol Pollington were seven shots to 10 down on the 10th end, but picked up a six on the 11th and never looked back, coming out eventual winners 28-15.
Rink scores, Norfolk first: Anne Read, Maureen Emment, Jenny Morrison, Carol Pollington 28 M Bysouth 15; Anne Leverett, Beverley Masters, Louise Catchpole, Louise Hannant 22 S Craig 18; Wendy Bryant, Carol Fenn, Carol Neave, Linda Blake 19 V Hughes 17; Rebecca Carter, Pearl Wilson, Mary Johnson, Joyce Webster 16 S Ritchie 19; Sue Gravenor, Pat Last, Pat Baker, Marion Himpleman 20 D Smith 24; Pauline Wright, Louise Knights, Rebecca Field, Jayne Roylance 16 V Newson 29.