Norfolk county rugby competitions beginning to take shape
- Credit: Archant
Norfolk's various cup competitions are gradually starting to swing into action, with clubs bidding for a place at Finals Day, the county's popular end-of-season showpiece.
The opening stage of the Intermediate Cup is now almost complete, with Wymondham and Beccles having joined West Norfolk in the second round.
Wymondham made progress in the second tier competition at the weekend by seeing off lower-ranked Norwich Medics 60-0 while Beccles edged past Great Yarmouth-Broadland, who play at the same level 29-26.
With West Norfolk having already beaten visitors Fakenham 34-33 and struggling Lowestoft & Yarmouth having handed Norwich Union a walk-over the second round line-up is now a lot clearer.
With Thetford still having to host Crusaders and Swaffham receiving a bye the draw reads: Beccles v Swaffham, Norwich Union v West Norfolk and Wymondham v Thetford or Crusaders.
You may also want to watch:
Those games are scheduled for December 2 while the semi-finals are set for February 18. With an odd number of games one of the three teams to progress next month will go straight through to the final.
The Norfolk Senior Cup will get under way on February 10 with the county's four highest ranked clubs from last season bidding for glory.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 3 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 4 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 5 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 6 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 7 Man seriously injured after crash
- 8 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 9 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 10 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
The draw sees Diss from London IN host Norwich from London 2NE and Holt from London EC3 attempting to pull off a giantkilling act when they entertain holders North Walsham from London 1N.
Dates have yet to be fixed for the semi-finals of the third tier Norfolk Junior Cup but the matches will see Dereham host UEA and Lakenham-Hewett entertain Watton.
In the Norfolk Bowl for second teams Wymondham won 22-5 at Holt and then beat visitors Thetford 79-0 while Norwich won 41-10 at Lowestoft & Yarmouth in their second round tie. The matches yet to be played are North Walsham v Norwich Medics (in the first round) and Diss v Fakenham and Crusaders v North Walsham/Medics.
Norfolk Third Team Salver draw: Norwich v Holt, North Walsham v Diss, Wymondham v West Norfolk.