Norfolk come out on top in East Anglian derby clash
- Credit: Archant
It was a bonfire night to remember as the Norfolk U14 junior badminton team took on Suffolk in the East Anglian derby.
Suffolk took an early lead by gaining the upper hand in the mixed doubles, winning three of the four games, but it was short-lived as the Norfolk boys clawed ahead, winning all four of their singles games.
Suffolk regained their composure, winning three of the four girls' singles, and moved ahead by winning three of the four girls' doubles games.
This left Norfolk 9-7 down and the result in the hands of the boys' doubles. All four matches were closely fought, but the Norfolk boys held their nerve to take all games, leaving Norfolk with an 11-9 win.
In the spirit of friendship between the two counties, a match was held between the second teams, a friendly to allow other players to gain experience on the county circuit. Norfolk won the game 13-7.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner