Norfolk-born squash star James Willstrop wins Commonwealth Games silver medal
- Credit: PA
Norfolk-born squash star James Willstrop has had to settle for a silver medal after Nick Matthew retained his Commonwealth Games title in Glasgow following a feisty five-set final against his England team-mate.
World number two Matthew triumphed 11-9, 8-11, 11-5, 6-11, 11-5 in a repeat of the final in Delhi, although the manner of his win was markedly different from his straight-sets sweep four years ago.
The Sheffield man seized the lead early in the decider and held firm for a win which completed an English sweep of the medals after Peter Barker beat India's Saurav Ghosal in the bronze medal play-off.
Matthew edged the first set 11-9 after a minor delay when he lost a contact lens and an angry confrontation with the referee when Willstrop, originally from North Walsham, was awarded a point after clattering the ball into Matthew's legs.
But Willstrop responded well and remained ahead throughout a tight second set which he eventually edged 11-8 on his third game ball.
You may also want to watch:
Matthew took early control of the third, streaking into an 8-1 lead and holding off a fleeting Willstrop recovery to take it 11-5, but again Willstrop responded by dominating the fourth to force the decider.
Earlier, world champion Laura Massaro, who was born in Great Yarmouth, was forced to settle for the silver medal after losing the women's final 12-10, 11-2, 11-5 to long-time world number one Nicol David of Malaysia.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 5 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules