Norfolk-born squash star James Willstrop wins Commonwealth Games silver medal
- Credit: PA
Norfolk-born squash star James Willstrop has had to settle for a silver medal after Nick Matthew retained his Commonwealth Games title in Glasgow following a feisty five-set final against his England team-mate.
World number two Matthew triumphed 11-9, 8-11, 11-5, 6-11, 11-5 in a repeat of the final in Delhi, although the manner of his win was markedly different from his straight-sets sweep four years ago.
The Sheffield man seized the lead early in the decider and held firm for a win which completed an English sweep of the medals after Peter Barker beat India's Saurav Ghosal in the bronze medal play-off.
Matthew edged the first set 11-9 after a minor delay when he lost a contact lens and an angry confrontation with the referee when Willstrop, originally from North Walsham, was awarded a point after clattering the ball into Matthew's legs.
But Willstrop responded well and remained ahead throughout a tight second set which he eventually edged 11-8 on his third game ball.
You may also want to watch:
Matthew took early control of the third, streaking into an 8-1 lead and holding off a fleeting Willstrop recovery to take it 11-5, but again Willstrop responded by dominating the fourth to force the decider.
Earlier, world champion Laura Massaro, who was born in Great Yarmouth, was forced to settle for the silver medal after losing the women's final 12-10, 11-2, 11-5 to long-time world number one Nicol David of Malaysia.
- 1 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 2 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 3 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 4 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 5 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 6 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 7 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 8 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 9 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 10 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk