Newmarket Town 6, Great Yarmouth Town 1

A Jake Wayne hat-trick helped the home side comfortably beat Great Yarmouth in a relegation six-pointer.

A Lane brace before and substitute Gray's strike separated the hat-trick goals, while Hurren scored what turned out to be a consolation.

Both teams started the game in desperate need of a win and it showed in the fast tempo at the start of the game. Within the first five minutes a long ball was flicked to Granger who, after beating Henwood, blasted a volley over the crossbar.

Just two minutes later Yarmouth could have taken the lead. After good work from the right Vide's shot from 25 yards out hit the underside of the crossbar, with George from six yards out poking the rebound inches wide.

George was involved again after 13 minutes. A free-kick, won when McAra was fouled, found the striker in the area whose turn and shot forced a low stop from the home goalkeeper Bugg.

But that was as good as it got for the away side as Newmarket soon took control with chances falling to Wayne twice and Lynch in ten minutes. The dominance counted after 33 minutes when a long ball into the area was flicked onto Lane who, after creating space in the box, rolled the ball under Greygoose and into the far corner.

Newmarket created several chances to make it two before half-time with chances spurned by Darling and Maskell. But it was Lane that got his and Newmarket's second before the break, after playing a one-two with Darling the striker slotted the ball into the side of the net.

Most Read

The goalscoring didn't stop after the break with Newmarket getting a third just five minutes into the second half. Wayne's shot, after Mills lost the ball near his own box, was deflected wide. The resulting corner was cleared to Kirby whose cross allowed Wayne to turn and fire a low shot into the far corner.

Two minutes later Yarmouth got a way back into the match when Hurren sprung the offside trap to receive Mills' through ball and calmly rolled his shot under the advancing goalkeeper and into the far corner.

But the three-goal advantage was restored just short of the hour mark when Yarmouth couldn't fully clear a corner; Wayne turned the ball home from under the crossbar

By this time Yarmouth's defence had struggled against constant attacks from the home side, with the best chance falling to Lane after 69 minutes for his hat-trick. Lynch rolled the ball back to the striker from the byline but the shot rebounded off the bottom of the far post.

A rare attack from Yarmouth almost ended in a second goal. After picking up a clearance on the halfway line, George burst towards goal and fired a shot that was spilt by Bugg towards Araujo, but Bugg recovered to save at the feet of the substitute.

But Newmarket wrapped up the victory with two goals in the last ten minutes. Gray chipped the goalkeeper after Wayne's attempt at his hat-trick was blocked, while two minutes from the end Wayne got his third when he stole the ball off Barnden and fired into the roof of the net after rounding Greygoose.

• Newmarket Town: Bugg, Reddick (Saunders, 63), Lynch, Granger, Coe (C), Maskell, Kirby (Attwood, 73), Abbs, Lane, Darling (Gray, 63), Wayne. Unused Subs: Tyte, Youngs

Bookings: Lynch 84

Goals: Lane (33, 45), Wayne (51, 59, 89), Gray (82)

• Great Yarmouth Town: Greygoose, Henwood, Crux, Baldock, Giacomelli, Barnden, McAra (Araujo, 76), Mills (C), Hurren, George, Vide (Mitchell, 53). Unused Subs: Jobbagy, Hackleton

Bookings: None

Goals: Hurren (53)

• Attendance: 81

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter