Newcastle keeper to miss crunch clash with Canaries
- Credit: PA
Newcastle United's preparations for Saturday's crunch encounter with Norwich City at Carrow Road suffered a big blow on Tuesday night when goalkeeper Rob Elliot was injured while playing for the Republic of Ireland.
The Magpies' current first choice between the sticks fell awkwardly as he attempted to make a save during the first half of the friendly with Slovakia at Dublin's Aviva Stadium.
Miroslav Stoch's effort found the back of the net – and things quickly went from bad to worse for the keeper when he was stretchered off in considerable pain, to be replaced by West Ham's Darren Randolph.
It later emerged that Elliot had suffered knee ligament damage, with the likelihood being that he will be out for the rest of the season.
Elliot would bave been a certain starter in this weekend's Premier League basement battle – but he will now miss out, having been Newcastle's regular keeper since Dutch international Tim Krul was ruled out for the season after suffering a similar knee injury in October.
You may also want to watch:
Newcastle now look set to rely on third choice Karl Darlow, who has made just two first team appearances but does have over 100 games for Nottingham Forest under his belt.
The Republic went on to draw the match 2-2 with City midfielder Wes Hoolahan playing 71 minutes before being replaced and colleague Robbie Brady coming on as a half-time substitute.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 5 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 6 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 7 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 8 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 9 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 10 City confirm midfielder exit