New recruit Hands scores twice as Norwich Dragons make winning start
- Credit: Archant
Norwich Dragons made a winning start to their Premier Division campaign, withstanding a late fightback from Cambridge City II to win 4-3.
A brace from new arrival Katy Hands put Dragons 2-0 up before the visitors pulled one back.
After the break Hayley Toleman converted from a one-on-one to restore Dragons' two-goal advantage and Stacey Lee showed some silky skills to score the goal of the match from an acute angle.
The visitors scored twice in final 10 minutes but Dragopns held on for the win.
Dereham kicked off their Division 1N season with a stunning 3-1 home victory against St Ives.
You may also want to watch:
They welcomed back Eve Coulet and Ally Walters, who proved vital up front, while new players Lucy Soame and Kate Boardman were strong in defence.
Dereham completely dominated the game but had to wait until the second half for the goals, all of which were scored by Becca Taylor. St Ives managed to get it back to 2-1 but the home side always looked in control.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 3 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 4 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 5 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 6 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 7 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 8 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 9 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 10 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
Norwich City made an excellent start, beating visitors Bedford II 4-0.
City took the lead when Emily Francis dinked the ball past the last defender and smashed it into the goal. Krystal Bishop then forced the ball home via a deflection before Angela Hindle, Felicity Williams and Ellie Brine linked up effortlessly down the left to set up Bishop for a third.
The final goal came when Williams found Brine to slap home.
Newly-promoted Watton drew 1-1 with St Neots, while Lowestoft drew 0-0 with visitors Wisbech.
Norwich City II, newly promoted from the Norfolk League, opened their 2N campaign with a 1-0 win at Christchurch. The all-important goal arrived in the second half when Matilida Warde-Aldam finished off a slick move.
Norwich Dragons II recorded a 1-0 away win at Yarmouth. The only goal arrived after a move down the right saw new player Debs Painter, Kiera Goymour, Gail Thomas and Hannah Hardy combine to set up Maddy Reynolds who swept the ball past the out-rushing keeper.