New-look NACO Cup gets under way
The new-look NACO Cup gets under way tomorrow with seven first round ties pitting the top Norfolk Alliance sides against each other.
The NDI Insurance-sponsored competition has been relaunched in a new format, with East Anglian Premier League clubs and overseas players excluded.
There is bound to be a new name on the trophy, since any side playing in the EAPL in the past three years is also barred entry – ruling out inaugural winners Norwich, as well as 2010 and 2011 winners Vauxhall Mallards.
In the first round, early Alliance Premier Division leaders Old Buckenham visit newly-promoted Acle, while Dereham and Downham have a swift rematch after their Carter Cup meeting last Sunday.
In the other ties, Diss entertain Stow, Ashmanhaugh & Barton Wanderers are at home to Saham Toney, Sprowston visit Brooke, North Runcton play host to Cromer, and Beccles are at home to Lowestoft. Saxlingham have a first round bye.
You may also want to watch:
There is one NACO Shield first round match with Garboldisham at home to Bungay.
The two competitions are in a 50-over format, with play starting at noon. They filled the void left by the Stan Biss Trophy, which finished in 2008.
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 4 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 5 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 6 Driving instructor shares terrifying videos of NDR near misses
- 7 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 8 New landlords hope to serve up Thai food in suburban pub
- 9 Full-back signs for Burnley after Canaries release
- 10 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
Higher up the ladder, the county's four EAPL sides are in action in the ECB National Club Championship tomorrow, with Great Witchingham at home to Horsford in Group 13 and Vauxhall Mallards entertaining Swardeston. The games start at 1pm.