Nail-biting win helps chances
Division 1B of the Inter-County Regional Championships is living up to all predictions of being the hardest to win.
Coming up to the halfway stage, the race to reach the Premiership play-offs is wide open, with Norfolk improving its chances with an 8-7 away victory over Hertfordshire seconds.
The match got off to a tough start for the visitors, with a solitary win in the opening singles matches coming from Louise Culyer, who played very well to maintain her recent run of good form.
Julie Pike, Ian Murphy and Michael Philpott showed plenty of character but were always up against it in three hard-fought matches. In the level doubles, there were two comfortable victories for Pike and Culyer and Katherine Cooper and Toni Sturgeon against Herts second pairing, but they found it difficult to match the ability and strength of two former international players in the other two matches, although Cooper and Sturgeon were just pipped at the post 24-22 in their second set.
After an unconvincing start to their season, Murphy and Justin Gerrard are now finding some good form and won both their level doubles but Philpott and Paul Daynes were edged out in theirs, which left Norfok 7-5 down going into the mixed doubles and facing a mountain to climb.
You may also want to watch:
But all three pairs, Murphy and Cooper, Gerrard and Pike and Philpott and Culyer, won their matches to give Norfolk an 8-7 victory. Norfolk's next match against Middlesex, one of their main rivals, is scheduled for the end of January.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 4 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 5 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 6 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 7 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 8 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 9 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 10 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover