MK Dons Ladies 6 Norwich City Ladies 2: City Ladies produce a spirited display on the road but Dons take win
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies produced a brave performance before going down to a 6-2 defeat against Milton Keynes Dons Ladies.
With temperatures in the twenties and a stadium pitch, the game was going to be a challenge for both teams.
Dons struck first when Hev McDonnell scored from 10 yards out. The home side continued to dominate play throughout the first quarter with a series of attempts on the Norwich goal, but the visitors' defence held firm.
However, only some fine defending from Jodie Drake denied the Dons in the 18th minute before Dons seized on a defensive mistake, which allowed Laura Mills to fire home.
Although Norwich had chances, Dons were in control and worthy of their 2-0 lead at half-time.
You may also want to watch:
At the restart Norwich were rewarded after two minutes when a penetrating run by Brydie Siryj was turned square across the face of the Dons goal where Chelsea Garrett turned the ball past Dons' goalkeeper Emma Kirby.
The comeback was short-lived, as McDonnell scored a second on the day after 53 minutes.
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 7 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 8 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 9 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 10 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
Despite the temperature the match intensity was high with both teams giving everything.
Dons further extended their lead when Charley Clarke tapped the ball in on 63 minutes.
A water break and a full set of substitutions by both teams maintained the intensity and Dons scored two more, McDonnell a third on 72 minutes and Kim Farrow on 87 minutes.
Playing right to the end, Norwich scored in injury time, Aimee Durrant's effort hit the woodwork before the rebound was turned home by Tash Snelling at close range.
A defeat to Dons but nonetheless a performance to build on. Norwich's next fixture is at home to Cambridge United Women on Sunday, May 11, at Plantation Park.
Norwich: Armstrong, Osborne (Ward 69), Moyo, Moerkerk, McDonald (Robson 53), Drake, Durrant, Daviss, Garrett (Shorten 65), Snelling, Siryj, Subs not used: Parker & Brogan
MK Dons: Kirby, Wright, Newsome, Burgess (Cudone 52), Holland, Naylor, Hughes, Clarke, Mallett, Mills (Farrow 72), McDonnell (Loftus 72), Subs not used: Doyle & Shults
Referee: Nick Fuller