Michael Frew’s late strike nets points for Fenmen against Newsport Pagnell
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town left it very late to complete the double over FA Vase quarter-finalists Newport Pagnell Town in this eighth versus ninth clash.
The first half was very short of goalmouth action for either side but it was the visitors who went into the break a goal up thanks to a 16th minute free kick from a clever Greg Ling which went under the Wisbech wall.
Fenmen manager Dick Creasey's half time words had the desired effect and just two minutes into the second half, his team was level. Michael Frew spotted that his attempt to lob Swans' keeper Mark Osborn might not go in so he chased the ball down and made sure it found the net.
Ten minutes later, Scott Johnson's ball into the box wasn't dealt with by the Pagnell defence and Sam Murphy had enough time score his seventh of the season from 10 yards.
The visitors changed to a more attacking formation and were unlucky to see a shot hit the inside of the post and then Sam Vince pull off a tremendous save onto the underside of the bar, but the equaliser did come in the 89th minute as Adam Pryke's header found the inside of the far post from a chipped free-kick.
You may also want to watch:
The Fenmen were not to be denied and a minute into time added on, Liam Adams found space down the right wing and his pinpoint cross was met by the forehead of Frew who gave the keeper no chance from eight yards.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 4 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 5 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 6 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 7 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 8 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 9 'People are dying': Up to 500 patients waited for ambulance in one night
- 10 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon