Meeting off after storm hits King’s Lynn Stars’ stadium
- Credit: Matthew Usher
King's Lynn Stars will not host the Lakeside Hammers tonight due to electrical problems at the Norfolk Arena.
A thunderstorm during a private function at the Saddlebow Road stadium across the weekend blew a host of appliances, including lights on the back straight.
Electricians were working up until about 5.30pm yesterday to rectify the problem but owner Buster Chapman decided to postpone the fixture after they failed to find a solution.
He said: 'I decided to err on the side of caution as something's been blown underneath the track.
'I couldn't take the risk of waiting until tomorrow, letting everybody start travelling here, and possibly not finding what was wrong. We're probably going to have to dig the track too.
'The best decision was to call it off early on health and safety grounds and cancel the night's event.'
A rescheduled date will now have to be found for the fixture between Lynn, sixth, and fourth-placed Lakeside Hammers, both of whom harbour play-off ambitions
- 1 Snow starts to fall in Norfolk - but will it last?
- 2 Hopes rekindled for new £20m railway station
- 3 'Please come home': Family's plea to help find missing Norwich girl
- 4 John Lewis boss bids farewell to Norwich store after nearly three decades
- 5 'We're over the moon': Family overjoyed as missing Norwich girl returns home
- 6 Patient dies while waiting in ambulance for hospital bed
- 7 Fire fears over huge battery storage plants for wind farm
- 8 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 9 Obituary: Owner of huge collection of vintage tractors dies aged 75
- 10 Warning for drivers as Met Office issues ice warning across Norfolk