McKinna and Baker named in Great Britain squad for European Championships
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Sophie McKinna has had her place in the Great Britain squad for the European Athletics Championships confirmed.
The Great Yarmouth & District AC shot put star is the current British women's number one after a personal best throw of 17.76 metres earned her fifth place at the Commonwealth Games in Australia in April.
The 23-year-old matched that distance last month when 17.76m added the South of England title to silver at the British Indoor Championships in February, all of which saw her comfortably pass the UK Athletics standard of 16.50m for the Europeans.
McKinna has been named alongside Divine Oladipo and Amelia Strickler as the women's shot put trio who will represent GB in Berlin between August 6 and 12.
Norfolk-born British men's high jump number one Chris Baker, originally from Dereham, is also named in the squad. The 27-year-old won the British title earlier this month and won a share of bronze at the Europeans in Amsterdam in 2016.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 2 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 3 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 4 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 5 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 6 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 7 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 8 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 9 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 10 Number of coronavirus deaths passes 1,000 at Norfolk's hospitals