Matt marks return with a cup goal
LEISTON 0, LOWESTOFT TOWN 2: Matt Nolan marked his first start of the season for Lowestoft by putting them on their way to a Suffolk Premier Cup victory at Leiston.
But he made his first team return as one of six changes to the Lowestoft starting-up for a tricky cup test against a Leiston team going well in both Ridgeons League and FA Cup.
And he celebrated by putting the Blues in front on the hour mark by converting a penalty after David Head had handled in the area.
That completed a, literally, dark and pivotal period for the host team as they had been reduced to ten-men by the dismissal of Danny Cunningham for a reckless challenge on David Chick, immediately before a floodlight failure which forced the players off the field for 15 minutes.
As soon as play resumed Leiston switfly found themselves not only a man short, but a goal down.
You may also want to watch:
There was no way back: Jamie Godbold and Nolan combined for Scott Mitchell to clip the bar and, in the 77th minute, Jamie Forshaw found Godbold to set-up former Canaries star Adrian Forbes for the second goal which killed the contest and ensured Lowestoft's passage into the quarter-finals.
On Saturday Lowestoft have another Suffolk derby when they go to Needham Market in the FA Trophy.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 5 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 6 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 7 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 8 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 9 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach