Marham team RAF Reserves fill void left by death of Simon Andrews
- Credit: Tim Keeton/Impact Images
The British Superbikes moved up to Knockhill in Scotland – and saw the return of RAF Marham's RAF Reserves team to the main Superbike class after the sad loss of Simon Andrews.
Team Principal Lee Hardy has brought in Peter Hickman from Louth for the rest of the year. Hickman, the fastest newcomer at the TT with a lap of just under 130mph, has a wealth of experience on a Superbike and is more than capable of doing a good job on the 1000cc Honda.
Despite little time on the bike before the weekend, Hickman had two good solid rides, finishing 14th in the first race and, after a great scrap with Jakub Smrz and Keith Farmer, taking an incredible 13th in the second race. That was despite getting caught up in an incident at Taylor's Hairpin that left him unable to change gear – he slowed until he realised he had a broken gear lever and then made the best of a bad job for about 25 laps.
The Norfolk-based Morello Team's Superbike rider John Ingram crashed out of race one and, although he was unhurt, it was not possible to get the bike ready in time for the second race.
Gorleston teenager Charlie King had his problems during qualifying and along with the heavy rain that came he was unable to set his Team Haribo Starmix 675cc Triumph up as he wished. But come the race he rode well to finished in the points.
You may also want to watch:
Norwich Supersport Evo rider Matt Layt is still trying to get back into the groove after a more than a season out through injury, and while he won't be happy with his weekend's work he knows what he is capable of and hopefully it won't be long before we see him back to his old form.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 4 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 5 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 6 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 7 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 9 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 10 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death