Magpies’ lead is cut after surprise home defeat

Premier Division leaders Dereham slipped to a surprise 4-0 defeat at home to mid-table Woodbridge on Saturday.

The visitors went ahead on 25 minutes when Paul Berry's deflected shot beat Shaun Marshall in the Dereham goal.

Woodbridge doubled their lead 10 minutes later when Aaron Churchyard took advantage of some static Dereham defending to score.

Just before half-time Woodbridge were awarded a penalty which was converted by Mark Roper to give the visitors a commanding 3-0 lead at half-time.

Churchyard's well-struck effort made it four and Dereham's misery was compounded when Jay Eastoe-Smith was sent off for a second bookable offence on 57 minutes.

You may also want to watch:

Norwich United got back to winning form after two consecutive league defeats with a 1-0 victory at FC Clacton.

George Wilson marked his return from suspension with the winning goal on 20 minutes, as he collected Steve Shipley's pass before turning and curling a shot inside the post.

Most Read

The Planters then defended their lead excellently and could have added to their tally before settling for a single goal success.

Gorleston suffered their second successive league defeat as they were beaten 4-2 at Ely.

Jamie Godbold fired the Greens ahead from the edge of the box on 20 minutes and the visitors doubled their advantage eight minutes before half-time. Reece Hunn cut in from the left and found Chris Sandford who drilled a low shot into the net.

Two goals in a minute from Ely's Luke Parkinson made it all-square at half-time and the hosts went ahead on the hour with an own goal, before Josh Bridgeman's penalty sealed the points.

Gorleston skipper Eddie Thompson could not contain his frustration and was shown a second yellow card late on.

Wisbech racked up their ninth unbeaten game in all competitions with a 3-1 home win against Stanway.

Liam Nimmo bundled in the Fenmen's opener just before half-time and Matt Lunn rounded the keeper to add a second on 51 minutes. Callum Reed scored Wisbech's third from the penalty spot on the hour before Stanway pulled one back on 76 minutes.

Great Yarmouth were unable to build on their midweek point against Diss as they fell to a 2-0 defeat at Felixstowe.

Diss lost 2-0 at Haverhill, ending a run of five straight defeats for the hosts.

Jamie Speller had a header cleared off the line for Diss, but Haverhill took the lead on 36 minutes through Dan Cornwall.

Jack Wilkinson had already hit the post for the hosts when his 74th minute corner eluded everyone and found its way into the net.

In the First Division Knockout Cup, Thetford Town completed a hat-trick of wins at local rivals Swaffham this season with a 5-0 triumph.

Having already beaten the Pedlars in the league and the Norfolk Senior Cup this term, Thetford went ahead in the first half on Saturday through Matt Blake.

Matthew Dixon added two more in the second half before Blake completed his hat-trick with a late double strike.

Elsewhere it was a miserable afternoon for Norfolk's other two participants in the competition. Downham crashed to a 7-1 mauling at Cambridge University Press and Fakenham lost 5-0 at home to Godmanchester.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter