Magpies are back on top

Dereham boss Matt Henman insists Wroxham's results do not concern him after his side took over from the Yachtsmen at the top of the Premier Division.

Wroxham suffered their first defeat of the season, losing 1-0 at Brantham Athletic, while Dereham bounced back from a heavy defeat in midweek to beat bottom side Wivenhoe 3-0.

'Everyone talks about us and Wroxham but I'm not too worried about their results,' said Henman. 'We've just got to carry on with what we're doing. We've been up and down the last few weeks which is understandable with the horrific injury list we've got. We've been changing the team from game to game and bringing young lads in, asking them to do a lot of work.

'I've worked out that I've used 30 players in the first team already this season, so for us to be anywhere near the top, let alone at the top, is an achievement. Hopefully we can hang in there for the time being and the injury situation should improve over the next couple of weeks.'

Dereham took a 13th minute lead on Saturday courtesy of an own goal following a dangerous cross from Nicky Howell, before striker Billy Smith, who had been returning to action after an ankle problem, hobbled off when the injury flared up again.

Wivenhoe took the game to Dereham, but Scott Roberts added a second on 59 minutes and Howell completed the scoring eight minutes from time.

Wroxham's Paul Cook was unable to convert a trio of first half chances at Brantham, while the hosts' Josh Capocci hit the woodwork in the opening period.

Most Read

Brantham twice saw efforts scrambled off the line in the second half before finally breaking the deadlock in the 70th minute. Ollie Mann was brought down in the area and he stepped up to thump home the resulting penalty.

Craig Terrington and Cook were denied by the hosts' keeper as Brantham held on to maintain their top five status.

Norwich United moved up to sixth with their third consecutive victory as they won 3-0 at Walsham-le-Willows.

It could have been a very different story if the hosts had converted an early penalty after Scott Manning's foul, but James Tatham's spot-kick hit the bar.

Walsham were almost made to pay for that miss two minutes later but Ross King's shot was pushed behind. King was not to be denied however and he headed in Lee Hunter's corner to give the Planters a 39th minute lead.

The result remained in the balance until injury time, when Hunter put Thomas Mustapha clear and despite a poor first touch he recovered to poke home United's second.

There was still time for the Planters to add a third, as Mustapha this time set up Hunter to score.

Paul Jones' late equaliser earned a point for Wisbech in a 2-2 draw at Gorleston.

Chris Bacon gave the Fenmen an eighth minute lead, but Christy Finch levelled matters on 23 minutes. Jamie Godbold hit the post for Gorleston before Liam Harvey-Cooper gave them the lead six minutes into the second half.

With three minutes' remaining, Jones' effort found its way into the net via a deflection to give Wisbech a share of the spoils.

Two second half goals condemned Diss to a 2-0 defeat at Hadleigh United, James Pipe going closest to a goal for the Tangerines when he hit the bar.

Great Yarmouth slumped to their third successive league defeat – and fifth in all competitions – as they were beaten 4-1 at Mildenhall.

The Bloaters already trailed 4-0 when Scott Woodcock grabbed a consolation goal.

Kirkley & Pakefield could not build on their midweek win at Dereham as they lost 2-0 at home to CRC.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter