Lythgoe blows in for impressive Thetford pro-am success
Royal Norwich's Neil Lythgoe continued his winning progress through local events with success in the latest Thetford winter pro-am.
He shot two-over par 72 to win by a stroke on a day when strong winds made scoring conditions difficult.
Lythgoe said: 'The scoring showed what sort of day it was.'
'The wind was swirling and blowing the ball all over the place. A couple of times I thought I was hitting downwind but as I played the shot it changed to a cross wind – there's no way you can judge that. The course was quite dry and running and when it's windy as well it's difficult to control the ball.
'I just told myself to keep going, not to think that someone would be shooting two or three under. In those conditions, anything around par was going to be a good score.'
You may also want to watch:
Not surprisingly the conditions created up and down scoring. Lythgoe had five birdies in his round – 6, 8, 12, 14 and 16 – and was actually two under with seven to play. But his score slipped back with bogeys on 17, 18 and his last two holes, four and five.
'I was just pleased to come in with a half-decent score and that it was good enough.'
- 1 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 4 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 5 Road through village closed by floodwater
- 6 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 7 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 8 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 9 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 10 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
This was the final four ball event of the winter pro-am series with just the singles championship event remaining to be played later this month.
• Professional Medal: 1 74 Neil Lythgoe (Royal Norwich), 2 75 Paul Maddy (Gog Magog), 3 77 Jamie Abbott (Fynn Valley); Lee Patterson (Royal Cromer), James O'Doherty (Thetford).
• Pro-Am: 1 40 Paul Maddy and Gerard De Wolfe (Gog Magog), 2 39 Keith Capindale Scott (Richmond Park) and Roy Brame (Thetford), 3 38 Jamie Abbott and Brad Wilkins (Fynn Valley).
• Am-Am: 1 43 Paul Chalmers and Gary Borthwick (Stoke-by-Nayland), 2 40 John Yuill (Newmarket) and Jonathon Sisson (Weston Park), 3 39 Chris Mayhew (Ipswich) and Eric Burt (Rushmere).