Lythgoe blows in for impressive Thetford pro-am success
Royal Norwich's Neil Lythgoe continued his winning progress through local events with success in the latest Thetford winter pro-am.
He shot two-over par 72 to win by a stroke on a day when strong winds made scoring conditions difficult.
Lythgoe said: 'The scoring showed what sort of day it was.'
'The wind was swirling and blowing the ball all over the place. A couple of times I thought I was hitting downwind but as I played the shot it changed to a cross wind – there's no way you can judge that. The course was quite dry and running and when it's windy as well it's difficult to control the ball.
'I just told myself to keep going, not to think that someone would be shooting two or three under. In those conditions, anything around par was going to be a good score.'
You may also want to watch:
Not surprisingly the conditions created up and down scoring. Lythgoe had five birdies in his round – 6, 8, 12, 14 and 16 – and was actually two under with seven to play. But his score slipped back with bogeys on 17, 18 and his last two holes, four and five.
'I was just pleased to come in with a half-decent score and that it was good enough.'
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 5 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 6 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 7 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 8 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 9 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 10 'People are dying': Up to 500 patients waited for ambulance in one night
This was the final four ball event of the winter pro-am series with just the singles championship event remaining to be played later this month.
• Professional Medal: 1 74 Neil Lythgoe (Royal Norwich), 2 75 Paul Maddy (Gog Magog), 3 77 Jamie Abbott (Fynn Valley); Lee Patterson (Royal Cromer), James O'Doherty (Thetford).
• Pro-Am: 1 40 Paul Maddy and Gerard De Wolfe (Gog Magog), 2 39 Keith Capindale Scott (Richmond Park) and Roy Brame (Thetford), 3 38 Jamie Abbott and Brad Wilkins (Fynn Valley).
• Am-Am: 1 43 Paul Chalmers and Gary Borthwick (Stoke-by-Nayland), 2 40 John Yuill (Newmarket) and Jonathon Sisson (Weston Park), 3 39 Chris Mayhew (Ipswich) and Eric Burt (Rushmere).