Lynn call on FA after Carey injury

King's Lynn chairman Ken Bobbins is demanding FA action against Corby's Robbie Maddox after Shaun Carey's double leg fracture.

King's Lynn chairman Ken Bobbins is demanding FA action against Corby's Robbie Maddox after Shaun Carey's double leg fracture.

Carey underwent surgery at the town's QEH hospital yesterday to pin his right leg after being carried off in Lynn's 2-1 Southern League, Premier Division win on Tuesday night.

Maddox was yellow carded for the lunge from behind, but Bobbins wants a tougher stance taken with the Corby defender.

"We want justice," he said. "That lad can carry on playing - Shaun Carey won't be able to carry on playing for a long time. We are looking at every possible avenue we can go down on this one. The referee has stymied it to an extent because he saw the incident and produced a yellow.

"There might be a possibility of using video evidence. If we can obtain video and it clearly shows the tackle we will approach the FA."

Bobbins visited the former Norwich midfielder in hospital yesterday prior to his operation.

Most Read

"Shaun is gutted," he said. "He keeps going through the incident in his mind to see if he could have avoided it, but he just didn't see it coming. The surgeon couldn't say how bad it might be until he actually opened him up and saw the extent of the damage.

"Shaun will most likely have to give up his day job for the next few months and his wife is expecting a child later this month. He stuck by us in the summer and, rest assured, we will do the same now. He's been superb in the early weeks of the season and looked like he had really got to grips with this league. I think he would've only got better and better.

"Shaun is a quick healer and naturally fit lad, but I'd say his season is probably over - the stud marks start just below his knee and travel down to his ankle. At this stage it's best not to speculate further."

Bobbins revealed he visited the referee's room during the half time interval.

"Yes, I did have a word because I felt that strongly," he said. "When I got down to the changing rooms Tommy (Taylor) and Mark (Warren) were having a right go so I ushered him into the referee's room to discuss the matter.

"His opinion was the guy had been late, but had shown no intent. Everyone in the ground heard the crack and I was staggered the referee and his assistant did not see it - the assistant could not have been in a better position. I must praise not only the restraint of our players, but supporters - it could easily have triggered a very nasty reaction."

Lynn's chairman insists the club will emerge stronger from Tuesday's sickening incident.

"This can only galvanise the lads," he said. "They were distraught after the game and just drifted off straight away - which was probably a good thing. They will pull together now and try to achieve something for Shaun. In previous years it might have proved fatal, but our squad is considerably deeper this season.

"If Tommy feels he needs to fetch someone in down the line we will do all we can to support him, although at this time of year clubs don't want to release players while they are still in cup competitions."