Lowestoft & Yarmouth 27, Saffron Walden 25
Lowestoft and Yarmouth needed to win this game to ensure they remained playing level seven rugby next term and a last minute try by Papo Semedo rescued the game and thrilled an exasperated home crowd.
The result should never have been in doubt, but after racking up a 17 point lead by sticking to a driving game plan, the home side stepped off the gas. That allowed Walden three easy scores for an eight point lead coming into the final five minutes, before the hosts finally knuckled down again.
L&Y made all the play to start the game and drove a line-out over for man of the match Steve Adams to score a simple try, which Dave Tiueti converted from the touchline. Tiueti added a penalty before Myles McAlone stole the ball and wriggled through several defenders for a fine individual try. Tiueti added the conversion but then it all started to go wrong as Walden scored twice in the final two minutes of the half, the first a penalty and the second a try.
After the break two mores tries and a penalty took the visitors into the lead. However with 10 minutes to play L&Y finally earned a penalty in Waldon territory and Tiueti calmly slotted the points.
Then a break by Tiueti was taken right and when it returned to the left Brad Sutherland found Portuguese lock Semedo and he surged under the posts in his last game before moving to the South Coast. Tiueti added the conversion and L&Y saw out the game.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 4 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 5 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 6 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 7 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 8 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 9 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 10 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47