Lowestoft Town Ladies 1 Norwich City Ladies 5 – Canaries go nap as Bales bags a debut beauty
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City claimed the Women's Premier League's first East Anglian derby bragging rights of the season by producing a five-star display at Lowestoft Town.
Both sides started cautiously in their 2016/17 WPL South East Division One opener with the hosts testing City keeper Fiona Coombes first. But a few minutes later the Canaries settled any nerves when Chelsea Garrett went through and slotted the ball past Eilish Brogan in the Blues' goal.
Coombes again denied Lowestoft on 28 minutes, turning the ball round the post, but after a spell of home pressure Norwich struck 10 minutes later when Ebony Wiseman squeezed the ball past Brogan from a narrow angle to double her side's advantage.
After the break the Canaries stepped it up a gear pinning Lowestoft down for long periods and Ellen Swift soon netted Norwich's third. Just eight minutes later she scored a second – which came via a first-time strike from Brooke Osborne's pass.
On the half-hour mark Swift was replaced by Millie Bales, making her first appearance for Norwich.
You may also want to watch:
Lowestoft – who showed plenty of signs of encouragement as they prepare for their second campaign at this level – pulled a goal back through Hannah Waters.
It wasn't the end of the goalscoring though with City completing their nap hand in injury time with debutant Bales lobbing Brogan beautifully from 25 yards to seal a dominant second-half performance from the visitors.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 10 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
Lowestoft return to action on Sunday at Cambridge United while the Canaries' next match, in the FA WPL Cup (League Cup), isn't until Sunday, September 4 at QPR.
Lowestoft: Brogan, Everson, Riggall, Scully, Froud, Lacey, Moore, Daviss, Waters, Durrant, Bamber (Cursons, 69). Subs not used: Parsons, Green, Fullbrook. Goal: Waters (70)
Norwich: Coombes, Wilson, Faux, Fewkes-Woodrow, Parsons, Drake, Swift (Bales, 60), Shorten, Garrett, Wiseman, Osborne. Goals: Garrett (7), Wiseman (38), Swift (50, 58), Bales (90+2)
Referee: Barry Ereira