Lowestoft Town keep pressure on with win at Cray Wanderers
Cray Wanderers 0 Lowestoft Town 2
Lowestoft Town ensured that the battle for second place in the Ryman League Premier Division will go to the last day with a hard-earned victory in Kent.
It means that they are level on points with Hornchurch, who hold second place but have a much better goal difference (+32 against Lowestoft's +24).
The Trawlerboys finish their regular season on Saturday with a trip to newly crowned champions Billericay and have to better Hornchurch's result at home to an already relegated Leatherhead if they are to ensure they stay at home through both rounds of the play-offs. They are already assured of home advantage in the sem-finals.
Lowestoft were first to threaten last night when Scott Mitchell overelapped down the right, but from his cross Joe Francis' volley was inches too high.
You may also want to watch:
Play then settled down to a cagey midfield battle until Lowestoft broke the deadlock in the 42nd minute with Lubo Guentchev's corner nodded down by Adrian Forbes for Francis to knock home from close range.
The second half continued in similar vein with neither defence conceding any ground.
- 1 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 2 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 5 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 6 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 10 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate
But Cray were reduced to 10 men in the 75th minute when Joe Vines was sent off for striking Greg Crane.
And Lowestoft doubled their lead in the 85th minute. Adam Smith and Francis combined down the left and, from Smith's cross, Michael Frew brought the ball down and steered it just inside the far post.
Lowestoft: Jessup, Mitchell (Halliday 52), Smith, Eagle (Ainsley 73), Crane, Gaughran, Guentchev, Sinclair, Forbes, Henderson (Frew 65), Francis.
Unused subs: Forshaw, Stone