Lowestoft Town forced to settle for point on frustrating night

Lowestoft Harvey Hodd and Hednesfords Kennedy Digie- Lowestoft Town v Hednesford Town, Vanarama Nati

Lowestoft Harvey Hodd and Hednesfords Kennedy Digie- Lowestoft Town v Hednesford Town, Vanarama National League North, Crown Meadow, Lowestoft. 23 Feb 2016Picture by Richard Calver - Credit: Richard Calver

Lowestoft Town 0 Hednesford Town 0

Lowestoft Town made it seven National League points out of nine in eight gruelling days, with all 270 minutes played on heavy and tiring pitches – and with a touch of better fortune might have made it nine.

There was no mistaking the effort and commitment of the team who were still going strong at the final whistle but on the night they just could not muster that touch of flair which would have made all the difference.

Their cause was not helped by Jake Reed limping off after 63 minutes to be replaced by Shaun Bammant to bring to an end the blossoming partnership he is forming with Ryan Jarvis, who enjoyed another excellent game.

Defensively the Blues were again excellent, with Ben Killip untroubled throughout. The only real shot he had to contend with was a 30 yard effort from Kyle Perry which came straight to him early in the first half.

You may also want to watch:

Michael Spillane and Harry Kyprianou were solid in front of him, ably supported by full backs Harry Barker and Adam Smith. Andrew Fisk and Rossi Jarvis worked feverously in the middle but Harvey Hodd and Chris Henderson struggled to make an impact until the later stages of the game.

To be fair there was not much goalmouth action at either end, with Lowestoft looking the better footballing side but too often being drawn into the high ball game employed by the visitors, who relied heavily on the pace of Ahmed Obeng and the strength of Perry.

Most Read

The best chances of the game all fell to the Trawlerboys. Early in the game Harry Barker's deep cross from the right saw Rossi Jarvis loop a header just the wrong side of the upright. The best chance of the first half fell to Reed when he pounced on Ryan Jarvis' flick but his instant snap shot flew straight at keeper Dan Crane.

It was a similar story in the second half as the Hednesford defence continued to frustrate the Lowestoft attack.

Chris Henderson moved inside in the final quarter and came more into the game and looked to have broken the deadlock with 15 minutes to play but after wriggling through he shot past Crane but agonisingly across the face of the goal and just past the far post.

There was also a chance for Hodd in the final minute of normal time but after cutting inside Jack Truelove he saw his shot from 10 yards pushed away by Crane.

So at the end of a gruelling 90 minutes Lowestoft had to settle for a draw but with the knowledge that they had maintained their points advantage over their opponents and moved five points clear of the relegation zone.

Their next game is at eight-placed Chorley on Saturday.

Terry Lynes

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter