Lowestoft Town book place in Suffolk Premier Cup final with controversial goal

Suffolk FA Premier Cup Semi Final.Bury Town FC v Lowestoft Town.Lowestoft score their winning goal.

Suffolk FA Premier Cup Semi Final.Bury Town FC v Lowestoft Town.Lowestoft score their winning goal. - Credit: Archant

Lowestoft controversially edged past ten-man Bury Town in extra-time to progress to the final of the Suffolk Premier Cup at Needham Market.

Trawlerboys defender Michael Spillane headed home a near post corner late in the second period of extra-time – a goal that left the Bury bench fuming as they claimed the ball had gone out for a goal-kick.

The Blues, who twice equalised through Josh Mayhew and Ollie Canfer, had Remi Garrett dismissed in the first period of extra-time, after reacting to a challenge from Chris Henderson.

Lowestoft created the better openings of a dour first half, Spillane twice going close with headers and Connor Deeks rattling a post from range, the rebound being fired over by Ryan Jarvis.

Bury started the second half with more purpose and captain Phil Weavers almost put them in front within a minute of the restart, the defender lashing a vicious volley just over the bar.

You may also want to watch:

Bury's early pressure came to nothing though and they were punished as the Trawlerboys took the lead on the hour. Joe Marsden was set free down the right flank and he powered over a cross that was headed emphatically into the net by Deeks.

Left-back Robert Eagle then had a chance to double Lowestoft's lead, but fired over and two minutes later, the Blues were deservedly level, Mayhew nodding home the equaliser.

Most Read

Both sides had chances to win it but the match went to extra-time and Lowestoft took the lead in the 94th minute with a superb, clean strike from Henderson, the winger firing a curling shot into the far corner after good wing work by substitute Luke Garrod.

Bury equalised again eight minutes later, Canfer finishing clinically, but Garrett was sent off soon after and Spillane headed home the winner from Eagle's controversial corner – leaving Lowestoft to ponder a Premier Cup final encounter with Leiston.

Bury Town: O'Sullivan, White, Wigley (Hammett, 115), Kennedy, De'Ath, Weavers, Garrett, Hall, Mayhew, Canfer, Aitkens (Hughes, 46). Subs not used: Collins, Reed.

Lowestoft Town: Putjins, Marsden (Barker, 103) , Eagle, Fisk, Spillane, Kyprianou, Mason (Garrod, 75), Deeks, Crow, Jarvis, Henderson. Subs not used: Bammant, Solomon, Swatmann.

Attendance: 247

Referee: Alan Dale

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus