Lowestoft Town 4, Concord Rangers 1
Lowestoft's Olympic bronze medallist Anthony Ogogo was given a standing ovation by the 668 spectators at the Crown Meadow last night – before settling down to enjoy the best 90 minutes display the Trawlerboys have produced for many a season
Jack Defty's neat touches were a constant thorn in the Concord side and from the first of many Chris Henderson had his shot smothered at the foot of the post.
It took Lowestoft just seven minutes to move ahead as Henderson played Lee Smith down the right. His cross picked out Defty who headed the ball back across the face of the goal for Dale Cockrill to head home from close range.
Joe Francis, Henderson, Aaron Jones and Lee Smith all had attempts saved before Lowestoft doubled their lead in the 42nd minute. Defty was fouled to the left of the penalty area and from Smith's free-kick Scott Mitchell bravely dived to head the ball home.
Concord came out for the second period with renewed energy but were soon rocked back as Lowestoft added a third goal in the 53rd minute. Defty again won the ball and played a perfect pass into the overlapping Henderson who volleyed past the keeper into the far corner of the net.
You may also want to watch:
Concord pulled a goal back in the 58th minute with a low cross from the right was swept into the net from close range by Jason Hallett.
Lowestoft were soon in the ascendancy again with Dan Gleeson trying his luck from 30 yards which the keeper held well. Both Michael Frew and Francis raced clear but slipped the ball wide of the post as well as the keeper but the icing was put on the cake with a fourth goal in the 85th minute.
- 1 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 2 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 3 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 4 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 5 12 police vehicles called to 'very serious' crash in west Norfolk
- 6 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 7 The top-rated McDonald's in Norfolk according to Tripadvisor
- 8 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 9 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 10 Husband donates £1m to cancer research so 'no one else goes through same pain'
Frew started the move by playing Henderson down the left. He knocked the ball back to Francis whose cross picked out Frew who had continued his run into the box to head home from six yards.
The Blues were naturally delighted with a display which has seen the Trawlerboys start the season with six points from their opening two games, having won 3-1 at Whitehawk on Saturday.
• Lowestoft: Reynolds, Gleeson, Eagle, Jones, Crane, Mitchell, L Smith, Cockrill, Defty (Frew 76), Henderson (Stone 89) Francis, Subs not used: Ainsley, Gaughran, Saker.
• Concord: Jordan, Coyne, Glozier, Cowley, Easterford, White, Spendlove, J Elmes, Hallett (Popo 77), Harris (Bourne 73), Stokes, Subs not used: Flanagan, Cleaver, Clare.
• Attendance: 668