Lowestoft Town 3, Wingate 0: Blues move into Premier Division’s top four
Lowestoft bounced back from their FA Cup exit by picking up a deserved three points against Wingate & Finchley at the Crown Meadow last night to move up to fourth in the Ryman Premier table.
Andy Reynolds' return in goal was the only change to the starting line up and he saw plenty of the ball early on as the visitors came out of the blocks quicker. But the tone of the game soon changed a minute later as Lowestoft opened the scoring with their first attack after five minutes. Joe Francis' shot was deflected for a corner and from Lee Smith's flag kick the ball fell nicely for Chris Henderson to volley in from close range.
Lowestoft pressed for a second goal, but despite some neat approach work could not find a decisive pass until the 33rd minute, when a high ball into the penalty area was knocked down by Ajet Shehu into the path of Lee Smith, who had no problem shooting past Bobby Smith.
The game was effectively over as a contest in the 39th minute when Lowestoft added their third. The damage was again done by a long ball over the back four which saw Francis use his pace to get clear before his shot took a deflection into the net
Wingate came out for the second period in determined mood but, despite having their fair share of possession, could not find a way through the solid home rearguard.
You may also want to watch:
And their cause was not helped by being reduced to 10 men on the hour when Ryan Gardiner received a second yellow card.
Instead of beng finished off the incident made Wingate raise their game without threatening a goal.
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 3 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 4 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 5 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 6 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 7 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 8 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 9 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 10 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
Lowestoft: Reynolds, Saker, Ainsley, Fisk, Crane (Cockrill 87), Gaughran, L Smith, Mitchell, Defty (Frew 78), Henderson (Cunningham 82), Francis , Subs not used: Jones, Eagle.
Wingate: Smith, Kyriacou, Wright, Clark (McGonigle 73) Shehu, Nielsen, Milner (Baptiste 82), Pinto, Gardiner, Bonnett (Karagul 73), Scott. Subs not used: Smith, Morris.. Attendance: 447