Lowestoft Town 3, Wingate 0: Blues move into Premier Division’s top four
Lowestoft bounced back from their FA Cup exit by picking up a deserved three points against Wingate & Finchley at the Crown Meadow last night to move up to fourth in the Ryman Premier table.
Andy Reynolds' return in goal was the only change to the starting line up and he saw plenty of the ball early on as the visitors came out of the blocks quicker. But the tone of the game soon changed a minute later as Lowestoft opened the scoring with their first attack after five minutes. Joe Francis' shot was deflected for a corner and from Lee Smith's flag kick the ball fell nicely for Chris Henderson to volley in from close range.
Lowestoft pressed for a second goal, but despite some neat approach work could not find a decisive pass until the 33rd minute, when a high ball into the penalty area was knocked down by Ajet Shehu into the path of Lee Smith, who had no problem shooting past Bobby Smith.
The game was effectively over as a contest in the 39th minute when Lowestoft added their third. The damage was again done by a long ball over the back four which saw Francis use his pace to get clear before his shot took a deflection into the net
Wingate came out for the second period in determined mood but, despite having their fair share of possession, could not find a way through the solid home rearguard.
You may also want to watch:
And their cause was not helped by being reduced to 10 men on the hour when Ryan Gardiner received a second yellow card.
Instead of beng finished off the incident made Wingate raise their game without threatening a goal.
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 3 Owner of popular bakery rushed into intensive care 120 miles from home
- 4 'Like a horror film' - Friends left terrified after being followed in woods
- 5 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 6 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 7 Eight men arrested after multiple stabbing in Norwich
- 8 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones
- 9 Norwich hospital to stop inpatient visits after rising Covid cases
- 10 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
Lowestoft: Reynolds, Saker, Ainsley, Fisk, Crane (Cockrill 87), Gaughran, L Smith, Mitchell, Defty (Frew 78), Henderson (Cunningham 82), Francis , Subs not used: Jones, Eagle.
Wingate: Smith, Kyriacou, Wright, Clark (McGonigle 73) Shehu, Nielsen, Milner (Baptiste 82), Pinto, Gardiner, Bonnett (Karagul 73), Scott. Subs not used: Smith, Morris.. Attendance: 447