Lowestoft Town 3, Harrow Borough 0

Lowestoft Town cruised to a routine victory at home to Harrow Borough this afternoon thanks to an authoritative display.

The Trawlerboys got in front in the sixth minute thanks to a fine header from Greg Crane and never looked like losing their grip on the three points.

A Garry Jones own goal, after good work by Dan Gleeson down the right, doubled Lowestoft's advantage before the break and Chris Henderson capped off a fine team display with his fourth goal of the season early in the second half.

The warning signs were there for the visitors as early as the fourth minute when Henderson came close to opening the scoring. Lee Smith played an intelligent pass into the striker's path but his effort from 12 yards was kept out by the legs of goalkeeper Jamie Jackson.

Two minutes later and Lowestoft hit the front thanks to a fine header from Crane. The Blues skipper rose highest to head home from 10 yards from Lee Smith's corner and it was one-way traffic for the rest of the half.

Lowestoft almost doubled their lead after a fantastic flowing move, which ended with Jackson making an excellent save to deny Joe Francis. Jack Defty, who had been outstanding in the first period, laid off to Smith, who found Mitchell. The midfielder played an excellent pass out to Francis on the edge of the area but his first-time strike was saved by the feet of Jackson.

It didn't matter though as midway through the half Lowestoft doubled their money. Stuart Ainsley sent a raking ball out to L Smith on the right and the former Bury man played in Gleeson, who had made an enterprising run forward from right back. Gleeson looked for support in the box but had a massive slice of good fortune when his attempted cross took a big deflection off Garry Jones into the back of his own net.

Most Read

Lowestoft might have had a penalty on the half-hour mark when Scott Mitchell looked to be fouled inside the area but the referee waved away the home side's protests.

Harrow, who had shown very little going forward in the first half, almost got a lifeline in the 35th minute when Lowestoft failed to clear a free-kick and Simeon Akinola reacted first but could only prod just wide from six yards.

Henderson might have made it 3-0 before the break after being played in by Francis but his first touch took him wide and his left-footed shot from 10 yards flew well wide under pressure from Michael Peacock.

Lowestoft had a scare at the start of the second half when Garry Burrell's curling effort flew just wide of Jessup's post after being found free in the box by Akinola.

But it was game over in the 54th minute thanks to an excellent finish from Henderson. The former Bury man picked up the ball midway inside the Harrow half and proceeded to run at their back four. Henderson twisted and turned his way past Jones before clipping the ball into the top corner with his left foot.

He should have got his second 10 minutes from time after some excellent work down the left by Francis. The winger gained a yard on Ola Williams before hanging up a cross for Henderson at the back post but his header from eight yards went just wide.

Substitute Steve Ferguson almost got a consolation for Harrow on the break late on but his left-footed strike hit the post with Jessup motionless.

- Lowestoft Town (4-4-2): Jessup, Gleeson, Gaughran, Crane, Ainsley, L Smith (Frew 55), Mitchell (Fisk 46), Cockrill, Francis, Defty, Henderson (Cunningham 84). Subs not used: Jones, Stone.

- Harrow Borough (4-4-2)): Jackson, Williams, Peacock, Munday, Jones, Ehui (Ferguson 60), Wolleaston, Burgess, Burrell (Jones 60), Buckle, Akinola. Subs not used: Lawal, Laney, McWeeney.

- Referee: Chris Pollard

- Attendance: 591