Lowestoft Town 2 Bognor Regis 0

Lowestoft Town eased to an impressive victory over a bright Bognor Regis side at Crown Meadow this afternoon.

Jack Ainsley's fourth minute strike set the Blues on their way and, had it not been for Bognor goalkeeper Mark Zawadski, Lowestoft's margin of victory could have been far greater.

However, they had to wait until injury time when substitute Danny Cunningham was on the end of Lee Smith's centre to smash the ball home.

Lowestoft got off to a dream start thanks to a fine finish from J Ainsley. Robert Eagle continued where he left off after his man of the match performance against Thamesmead, getting free down the left before fizzing a shot across the edge of the six yard box. Zawadski could only deflect the ball into the path of J Ainsley, who coolly swept the ball home from eight yards.

Only a fantastic save from Zawadski prevented Lowestoft from going further in front when he clawed away Lee Smith's free-kick from 20 yards.

But Lowestoft were certainly not having it all their own way in the first half with Bognor's passing style very easy on the eye. They carved the Blues open in the 28th minute resulting in Terry Dodd going through on goal but Ashlee Jones was quickly off his line to deny the striker.

Bognor defender Craig Robson then had a good chance when Kane Wills' free-kick found him completely free at the back post but his header flew agonisingly wide for the visitors.

Most Read

Lowestoft were also carrying a threat of their own going forward though with Michael Frew going close with a side-footed effort from the edge of the area that Zawadski did well to hold.

J Ainsley then had a great chance to get his second but again Zawadski saved his side and Frew's follow-up flew over the bar.

Erkan Okay came on at the start of the second half after Dan Gleeson suffered a hip injury in the first period. J Ainsley filled the void left by the skipper at right back with Okay occupying his favoured central midfield role. Lee Smith moved out wide to the right wing.

Dodd had a decent 20-yard effort that Jones was pleased to watch fly just wide but the introduction of Bradley Woods-Garness gave Lowestoft more impetus going forward.

The former Canvey Island striker latched on to a through ball from Henderson to get in behind the Bognor defence but his right-footed effort was brilliantly saved by Zawadski.

Cunningham wrapped up the points late on after coming off the bench to ram home from close range after being teed up by L Smith.

- Lowestoft Town (4-3-3): Jones, Gleeson (Okay 46), Gaughran, Crane, S Ainsley, Fisk, Eagle, L Smith, J Ainsley, Henderson (Cunningham 90), Frew (Woods-Garness 60). Subs not used: A Smith, Viner.

- Bognor Regis (4-4-2): Zawadski, Marzetti (Pearce 58), Axten, Robson, Sackman (Wollers 75), Hopkinson, J Crane, Willsm Tuck, Dodd, Whyte. Subs not used: Kempson, Howell.

- Referee: Rob Smith

- Attendance: 532