Lowestoft Town 1 Cambridge United 4

Robert Eagle was on target for Lowestoft against Cambridge United. Picture by Michael Sedgwick/Focus

Robert Eagle was on target for Lowestoft against Cambridge United. Picture by Michael Sedgwick/Focus Images - Credit: Michael Sedgwick/Focus Images

Lowestoft Town lost for the second time in three days to higher league opposition, as Cambridge United left Crown Meadow with a 4-1 victory.

Two goals in the space of a couple of minutes in the first half from Barry Corr and Danny Carr started proceedings for the visitors. Robert Eagle reduced the deficit in the second half for the Trawlerboys before two further goals from Josh Coulson and Tommy Craddock sealed the victory for the league two club.

The home side made five changes to the team who lost to Luton Town just two days earlier, with Jake Jessup, Connor Deeks, Dean Mason, Chris Henderson and Shaun Bammant given the nod from the start.

It was the first time the two sides had met since an FA Cup First Round Tie in November 1977 and the game also had an added impetus for Cambridge United manager Richard Money who was born in Lowestoft and started his career at Crown Meadow in 1972; making 33 first team appearances and scoring four goals.

Rossi Jarvis captained the side and partnered Dan Glesson in the centre of defence. Connor Deeks was playing the defensive shield role with Shaun Bammant deployed on the left and Chris Henderson given a free role to support Jake Reed in attack.

Lowestoft's first chance arrived in the fifth minute as Erkan Okay was fouled on the edge of the area but Adam Smith narrowly fired over the crossbar. Visiting keeper Chris Dunn was sharply off his line just five minutes later, as he beat Jake Reed to the ball after Chris Henderson had crossed.

Cambridge United sparked into life on 15 minutes as Danny Carr turned neatly and played in Barry Corr, but Erkan Okay was in the right place at the right time to clear off the line.

Most Read

The second visiting League 2 club in the space of two days showed their quality on 19 minutes, as Harrison Dunk beat three players only to find keeper Jake Jessup on top form to stop his cross.

However, the visitors did make the breakthrough on the half-hour mark scoring twice in a matter of minutes.

First Barry Corr beat the offside trap and after Jessup saved his initial effort, the front man tapped home the rebound to give the visitors the lead.

And just two minutes later, Luke Berry's shot managed to find Danny Carr, and although the midfield man saw the first chance rebound off the post, the ball to fall back into his path; allowing him to fire a left-footed shot past Jessup with the help of the framework for 2-0.

The U's, who forced a replay in the FA Cup last season against Manchester United, then had the chance to extend the lead but Danny Carr's finish was tame.

Rossi Jarvis picked up a yellow card for decent just before the interval and Shaun Bammant's cross was met by Jake Reed, but his header drifted just wide.

After the restart, Lowestoft made three changes with Marcus Garnham taking over in goal, Robert Eagle replacing Shaun Bammant and Bradley Woods-Garness taking the place of Jake Reed.

The visitors, who beat St Neots Town 7-2 in their first pre-season match, made five changes themselves, and striker Jordan Slew was nearly quick to make an impact, but Adam Smith made a crucial interception.

Robert Eagle then hit a speculative shot over the bar before Liam Hughes drove an effort wide for the visitors.

Lowestoft brought on Harry Coe replacing Connor Deeks and Shaun Bammant was brought back on to the pitch to replace Dean Mason.

With the match seeming to lose some momentum due to the wholesale changes, Marcus Garnham helped his quest to claim the number one jersey by producing a wonder save to deny substitute Jordan Chiedozie on 72 minutes as the game shot back into life.

The home side finally to get on the score sheet on 78 minutes with their first shot on target in the second half. Robert Eagle slotted home at the far post following a sublime cross from Joe Marsden to set up an exciting final ten minutes.

Bradley Woods-Garness came close to an equaliser as his shot from distance flew just wide but any chance of a comeback was crushed when Cambridge United once again scored two goals in a matter of minutes.

First, Josh Coulson headed past keeper Garnham to make the score 3-1 after a neat assist from Mark Roberts and Tommy Craddock was on hand moments later to fire home left-footed to seal the deal for Cambridge.

Lowestoft Town: Jessup, Marsden, Smith, Deeks, Jarvis, Gleeson, Mason, Okay, Henderson, Reed, Bammant.

Subs: Coe, Garnham, Eagle, Woods-Garness

Cambridge United: Dunn, Omozusi, Dunk, Hughes, Roberts, Legge, Carr, Berry, Simpson, Corr, A Trialist.

Subs: Taylor, Beasant, Morrisey, Coulson, Lowe, Horne, Craddock, Slew, Burns, Chiedozie, Hughes.

Referee: Lee Betts

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter