Lowestoft Town 1 Billericay Town 1 – Penalty miss is costly but Henderson rescues a point

Chris Henderson scored Lowestoft's equaliser against Braintree.PHOTO: Nick Butcher

Chris Henderson scored Lowestoft's equaliser against Braintree.PHOTO: Nick Butcher - Credit: Nick Butcher

Chris Henderson's second half strike saw Lowestoft come from behind to claim a much deserved point against Billericay Town.

After the visitors went in front through an own goal on 11 minutes, the Trawlerboys will be disappointed that their dominance was not converted into three points, with Michael Spillane also missing a penalty for the hosts.

Ady Gallagher made two changes to the team that was knocked out of FA Trophy first round qualifying by Dulwich Hamlet in a 2-1 defeat at Crown Meadow on Saturday.

Spillane and Andrew Fisk replaced brothers Rossi and Ryan Jarvis in what was Lowestoft's fourth home match in a row in all competitions.

It was also a milestone occasion for former Norwich City player Fisk, who was making his 300th appearance for the Blues.

You may also want to watch:

Visiting manager Craig Edwards kept with the same team that beat Maldon & Tiptree in their last game – where defender Ricky Sappleton scored both goals in a 2-0 win.

Billericay seized the initiative on 11 minutes through an own goal.

Most Read

A dangerous corner from Kreshnik Krasniqi was not dealt with by the home defence, and the ball bounced into the net off a combination of Travis Cole and goalkeeper Josh Glover.

But just seven minutes later, Lowestoft had a golden chance to equalise.

Henderson got a toe to the ball before Billericay goalkeeper Jack Giddens, and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot.

With the keeper cautioned, Spillane saw his penalty saved before Hodd's follow-up was also kept out by Billericay captain Giddens.

After some neat passing football, the quality in the final third for the home side was lacking as Billericay, in their luminous orange shirts, went into the interval with a narrow lead.

After the restart, Lowestoft started on the front foot and deservedly equalised on 47 minutes.

Chris Henderson found himself clean through on goal after a precise through ball from Harry Barker, and he had the composure to slot the ball past Giddens for his fifth goal of the season.

Billericay then made three changes in the space of 10 minutes with Gabby Adelowo, Goldy Capela and Pierre Hazet coming on – as the game began to open up.

Rory McAuley headed wide for Lowestoft on 66 minutes before Adam Smith's free-kick flew narrowly wide 10 minutes later.

Billericay also went close through Guthmy on two occasions before Krasniqi missed a golden chance from six yards to win the match for the visitors on 86 minutes.

The Trawlerboys return to action on Saturday with a trip to Surrey to take on lowly Leatherhead.

Lowestoft: Josh Glover, Cole, Blake-Tracy, Fisk, Spillane, McAuley (C), Barker, Smith, Reed, Henderson, Hodd. Unused: Rossi Jarvis, Marsden, Forshaw, Joel Glover, Waite.

Billericay Town: Giddens (C), Diallo, Cross, Gaurilovas (Hazet 67), Sappleton, Stephenson, Monville, Hubble (Adelowo 58), Diau (Capela 60), Krasniqi, Guthmy. Unused subs: Byrne-Hewitt, Wilson.

Yellow Cards: Lowestoft Town 1 (Cole) Billericay Town 4 (Giddens, Sappleton, Gaurilovas, Diallo)

Referee: Chris Francis

Attendance: 317

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus