Lowestoft Town 0, Tonbridge Angels 0

Lowestoft Town joint manager Ady Gallager was disappointed with the Blues' result against Tonbridge Angels, a goalless home draw, but not with his side's performance.

'Performance-wise we were happy,' he said. 'We deserved to nick the game. We had some good chances, and we were denied by the bar and a couple of good saves.'

He added: 'We're starting to look like our old selves. If we continue to play like that, results will come our way.

'We can't worry about what anyone else is doing. We must concentrate on oursleves. We are happy with the way things are going.

'We would have preferred to have had a few more points that our performances have warranted.'

Fellow boss Mickey Chapman said: 'It sums it up that their keeper was man of the match. We keep working hard.'

For the second home game running Lowestoft had to settle for a goalless draw when they entertained play off rivals Tonbridge Angels on Saturday.

Most Read

The two points dropped saw the Blues slip to fourth in the table, but the damage was limited with only three of the top eight winning.

Lowestoft included new signing Lubo Guentchev on the bench with Adrian Forbes and Dale Cockrill replacing the suspended Andrew Fisk and Stuart Ainsley.

Lowestoft started the brighter with Forbes and Joe Francis looking lively down the flanks.

Lowestoft were close to opening the scoring inside the first quarter. Scott Mitchell's cross from the left was punched away by keeper Lee Worgan only for Forbes to rise high at the edge of the area to loop a header back over the keeper – only to see it bounce down off the underside of the bar and back into play.

Having weathered the early storm Tonbridge came more into the game. Chris Piper took a return pass from Jon Heath but his fierce rising drive was tipped over the bar by Andy Reynolds.

Tonbrdge leading scorer Frannie Collin wasted a glorious chance when, with just Reynolds to beat, he screwed his shot well wide of the target.

Tonbridge continued to look the more threatening as the half came to a close and it required a superb tip-over save by Reynolds from Scott Kinch's bullet header to keep the scores level at the break.

The second half started in a similar vein with Dale Cockrill for Lowestoft and Chris Piper for Tonbridge seeing long-range efforts rise fractionally too high.

As the game continued the Blues exerted more pressure on their visitors and they were again denied by the woodwork.

From Andrew Cave-Brown's excellent cross Michael Frew's header rebounded back off the bar.

Frew then saw a goalbound shot blocked by the packed defence with Matt Nolan curling the rebound inches wide.

With the game in its final 10 minutes Sam Corcoran's free-kick was headed on by Greg Crane to Matt Nolan, who was denied by a truly outstanding save by Worgan.

Guentchev came off the bench and was close to making an instant impression when his 25-yard drive flashed a foot wide of the target.

League leaders Sutton also dropped points in a 0-0 draw at Aveley while second-placed Bury beat Croydon 1-0.

• Lowestoft Town: Reynolds, Cave-Brown, Smith, Mitchell, Crane, Haynes-Brown, Forbes (Guentchev, 79), Cockrill (Corcoran, 82), Nolan, Frew, Francis, Subs not used Forshaw, Halliday, Stock.

• Tonbridge Angels: Worgan, Beecroft, Heath, Kinch, Judge, Miles, Jones, Piper, Olorunda (Rook, 82), Collin, Logan (Walder, 80), subs not used Stone, Taylor.

• Attendance: 767.