Lowestoft Town 0 Guiseley 0

Jake Reed came closest to breaking the deadlock for Lowestoft.

Jake Reed came closest to breaking the deadlock for Lowestoft. - Credit: Richard Gould/Focus Images Ltd

Lowestoft Town edged a point closer to Conference North safety in a game low on quality against promotion-chasing Guiseley at Crown Meadow.

It wasn't pretty – the Crown Meadow playing surface and a swirling wind made sure of that – but the Trawlerboys will be grateful to have claimed a point against a side with designs on the Conference Premier.

Jake Reed could have made it a very good afternoon for the Blues early in the second half but shot wide after taking the ball around the goalkeeper.

The Lions looked the more threatening with Alex Johnson looking lively for the visitors. The forward forced Ashlee Jones into a superb save early on but in the end a point was just about the right result.

A bright start saw chances for both sides with Jack Ainsley coming close in the fifth minute but saw his 20-yard left-footer saved by Steve Drench.

A minute later Ashlee Jones had to produce an outstanding save to deny Johnson. The Guiseley striker manufactured some space for himself inside the Lowestoft penalty area before unleashing a fierce left-footed strike, which Jones did brilliantly to tip over the bar.

Unfortunately, this lively opening didn't exactly set the tone for the rest of the half as both sides struggled in the conditions and the game suffered as a result.

Most Read

Lowestoft did at least look solid defensively but the 4-1-4-1 formation employed meant Jake Reed was very isolated up front.

Rossi Jarvis tried to get up in support of the Lowestoft frontman on several occasions but, too often, there was no end product.

Lowestoft managed to build up some pressure at the end of the half with Adam Smith's corners causing some problems but Steve Drench was equal to anything the Blues could muster, which wasn't much.

Despite a lack of service Reed looked sharp feeding off some of the scraps he was afforded. He came close to breaking the deadlock early in the second half when he capitalised on a poor backpass from Ryan Toulson. The former Dagenham & Redbridge man's first touch took him round the goalkeeper but with the angle tight he slashed wide with his left foot.

Chances were starting to be created and Danny Boshell came close with a fine 20-yard drive that Jones did well to hold. However, the visitors were aggrieved because in the build-up to Boshell's shot Johnson looked to be clipped inside the penalty area by Andrew Fisk. The referee waved away their protests fortunately for the Trawlerboys.

Lee Smith was brought on for Okay to try and open up the visitors but the conditions made it very difficult for anyone to show any kind of quality.

But it was Guiseley that came closest to stealing the points when Andy Holdsworth's 25-yard effort whistled just wide with the aid of a deflection.

- Lowestoft Town (4-3-3): Jones, Ainsley, Gaughran, Sowunmi, A Smith, Jarvis, Fisk, Henderson (Woods-Garness 80), Okay (L Smith 75), Bammant, Reed. Subs not used: Mason, Marsden, Jessup.

- Guiseley: Drench, Toulson, Ellis, Lawlor, Lowe, Holdsworth, Stockdill (Hendrie 84), D Boshell, Boyes, N Boshell, A Johnson (O Johnson 65). Subs not used: Porritt, Harrison, Dickinson.

- Referee: Lloyd Wood

- Attendance: 565

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter