Lowestoft Town 0 Bury Town 2

Lowestoft Town's season ended with a whimper last night at Portman Road as they were well beaten by Bury Town in the final of the Suffolk Premier Cup.

The Trawlerboys struggled to shrug off the disappointment of last week's play-off final defeat all evening with Bury looking the brighter side throughout.

Craig Parker opened the scoring in the 13th minute with a composed finish and Tom Bullard made sure Bury exacted revenge for last year's defeat in the final with a looping header midway through the second half.

Jamie Godbold came off the bench late on to make his 500th appearance for club with the midfielder set to take over as Kirkley & Pakefield boss next season.

Bury looked the much sharper side from the outset and only an excellent save by Plummer denied Lee Reed from opening the scoring with a left-footed effort from 20 yards.

It was a sign of things to come though as Bury took advantage of Lowestoft's sluggishness by opening the scoring in the 13th minute. The Trawlerboys committed too many men forward and Jordan Patrick led the breakaway as the winger slid in Sam Reed, who was through on Plummer. The Bury striker shot across the Blues' keeper, who produced an excellent save but Parker was on hand to slam home the rebound from 12 yards.

Lowestoft could have been level within two minutes when Scott Mitchell rattled the crossbar with a superb 25-yard free-kick which had Marcus Garnham rooted to the spot.

Most Read

Frew had a golden chance to get the Blues back on level terms midway through the half when Joe Francis' cross picked out the former Corby man but his header was straight at Garnham.

Bury still looked the more likely to extend their lead as the lively Patrick won a foot-race with Lee Smith but dragged his left-footed shot wide with just Plummer to beat.

Dan Gleeson came close with a header on the half-hour mark but Lowestoft had a real let-off five minutes from the break when Sands was left completely unmarked from a corner but Plummer produced an excellent reflex save to deny Bury's top goalscorer.

Without a target man up front due to Jack Defty's broken leg and Hakeem Araba's unavailability Lowestoft struggled to adapt as Frew and Henderson toiled up front.

However, just before the break the two combined for the first time as Frew flicked on for his strike partner, whose drilled shot forced Garnham into a smart save low down to his right.

Bury almost extended their lead early in the second half after when Sam Reed took on a shot early from 20 yards which Plummer only just managed to shovel round the post. Nunn then came close with a glancing header which Plummer could only watch drift inches wide.

Lowestoft were grateful to Plummer again when he denied Sands and Sam Reed couldn't adjust his feet quickly enough to latch on to the rebound.

However, it was game over in the 66th minute when Lee Reed's free kick to the back post found Bullard, whose header looped over Plummer into the net.

Lowestoft rallied as Garnham tipped Frew's header onto the cross bar and Lee Smith should have reduced the arrears when Frew's cross found him six yards out but he side-footed wide under pressure from Nunn.

- Lowestoft Town (4-4-2): Plummer, Mitchell, Gleeson, Williams, A Smith (Eagle 46), L Smith, Fisk, Okay, Francis (Cunningham 79), Frew, Henderson (Godbold 89). Subs: Saker, Ainsley, Godbold.

- Bury Town (4-4-2): Garnham, Short, Nunn, Bullard, Coulson, L Reed (Kennedy 85), Key, Parker, Patrick (Clarke 90), S Reed, Sands. Subs not used: Logan, Wales, Taylor.

- Referee: Chris Pollard

- Attendance: 857