Love gets Norwich City Ladies off to a dream start but Cambridge United prevail
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies lost their first home fixture of the Women's Premier League South East Division One season, going down 3-1 to Cambridge United at Plantation Park.
Before kick-off, as a mark of respect, there was a minute's silence in memory of Sylvia Gore MBE, long standing member of the FA Women's committee and former international player, who tragically passed away last week.
With just 11 minutes played Norwich drew first blood when Kyla Love went through and beat Verity Crook in the Cambridge goal.
However, just a minute later, Laura Mills responded for Cambridge, beating Fiona Coombes in the Norwich goal.
Much of the play during the half was dominated by a well organised Cambridge side, with Norwich restricted to just a few attacking runs.
You may also want to watch:
Laura Bright netted twice more for the visitors on 29 and 34 minutes, to make it 3-1 to the visitors at half-time.
After the break Norwich came out showing greater purpose and Brooke Osborne went close on 48 minutes from 30 yards.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 10 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub
For the next 10 minutes play was end to end and on the hour-mark Paige Shorten was denied when her shot struck the underside of the bar dropping just in front of the goal line and was frantically cleared.
The next opportunity on 63 minutes fell to Cambridge, but they were denied by Coombes with a diving save across the face of her goal. Norwich City Ladies now will refocus for their next fixture away to AFC Wimbledon Ladies on Sunday.
Lowestoft Town Ladies are still searching for their first win as they were beaten 4-1 at Luton Ladies. Aimee Durrant got the Trawlergirls' goal.
Norwich: Coombes, Radley, Wilson, Wiseman, Parsons, Fewkes-Woodrow, Love, Shorten, Garrett (Snelling, 72), Drake (Keevil, 67), Osborne (Swift, 50). Subs not used: Bird, Faux
Cambridge: Crook, Jardine, Kmita, Gallop (Hewitt, 65), Jenkins, Bright, Mills, Mallett, Perschky (Perfect, 85), Taylor (Bennett, 70), Deacon. Subs not used: Sarafian
Referee: Jordan Sandwell