Liz and Jo triumph in annual charity tournament
A ladies' doubles tournament –sponsored by the fashion boutique Vanilla – attracted 24 pairs to the East Anglia Tennis & Squash Club.
They were greeted by a sunny and warm day for the sixth version of the annual charity event.
The format was four boxes of six pairs playing 20-minute timed matches, with the top eight pairs going through to a knock-out draw.
A strong field battled hard, but the eventual semi-finalists were Frances Horner and Holly Forster (Brooke), Hilary Prosper and Liz Waller (Blofield), Liz Cubitt and Jo Watkins (Stanmore, Blofield), and Maggie Polley and Sue Brown. The final saw Horner and Forster take on Cubitt and Watkins – the latter triumphed in a one-set tie-break match 6-4.
Vanilla gift vouchers were presented to both pairs together with bouquets arranged by Libby Ferris Flowers.
You may also want to watch:
Thanks go to Vanilla for sponsoring the event, referee Derek Perry and to Pam Reeves and Rachel Batley for an excellent lunch enjoyed by all. A raffle and book sale raised over �350. The May and June charity tournaments held at EAT&SC raised a grand total of �642 for Macmillan Cancer Support.
There are still spaces available for the Louise Willgrass Memorial Ladies' Doubles Charity Tournament to be held on Wednesday, September 14. Email email@example.com for further information or an entry form.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 4 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 7 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 8 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 9 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 10 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143