Linnets handle step up in class

King's Lynn 0, Boston United 0Tommy Taylor's men pushed their Nationwide League Two neighbours Boston United all the way in a competitive pre-season workout at The Walks last night.

King's Lynn 0, Boston United 0

Tommy Taylor's men pushed their Nationwide League Two neighbours Boston United all the way in a competitive pre-season workout at The Walks last night.

Lynn slammed the woodwork twice in an all action second half display – Michael Frew catching the eye with a tireless front running effort.

The former Nuneaton Borough man was forced into an overtime shift with regular strike partners Matt Nolan (work) and Paul Atkins (sun stroke) absent.

Taylor's new improved defensive unit also shone with goal keeper Shaun Marshall a calming influence behind the impenetrable Grant Cooper and Mark Warren.

Cultured midfield target Ashley Nicholls again showed glimpses of his class after an encouraging debut in the weekend win over Ridgeons Premier champions Lowestoft.

Most Read

The former Rushden man blazed over from close range with an early sighter.

Jack Defty was deployed alongside Frew up front and his far post header caused momentary panic before Matt O'Halloran diverted Frew's teasing cross behind. Jamie Stevens prodded a sharp chance over Marshall's goal after Luke Kennedy was caught napping on the edge of his own box.

Cooper's 30-yard missile flew inches wide as Lynn continued to press.

Julian Joachim's curling right footer failed to trouble Marshall just past the hour mark but the former Coventry marksman turned back the clock with a cute flick to free Anthony Elding who drilled a left footer off target.

Marshall plunged low to his left to palm away Mark Albrighton's powerful downward header then Kirby matched his opposite number with an identical stop to foil Defty.

Boston skipper Tim Ryan clashed with O'Halloran in front of the main stand five minutes from the interval but the officials took no further action after lengthy deliberations.

Pilgrims assistant boss and Lynn old boy Paul Raynor swapped the touchline for a holding midfield role after the break as Steve Evans shuffled his pack.

Frew latched onto Marshall's huge punt but his first time clip struck the crossbar with Kirby stranded.

Taylor introduced Shaun Carey for his seasonal re-appearance on the 50-minute mark but Marshall had to be alert to tip over Elding's sharp chip after the ex-Norwich man was caught in possession.

Frew's darting run into the box dropped invitingly for Nicholls but his disguised flick cannoned back off the woodwork before Defty's overhead kick flew wide.

Kirby denied Nicholls from 20 yards in the closing stages then enjoyed a large slice of luck when his attempted punch from Luke Fell's corner landed on top of his own net.

Lynn's tricky wideman threw himself at Dean West's driven cross but Kirby was again equal to the threat before the tireless Frew wriggled free only to loft over.

King's Lynn: Marshall, West, Smith, Warren, Cooper, Camm (Carey 49), Nicholls (Harvey 77), Kennedy (C Defty 72), O'Halloran (Fell 72), Frew, J Defty (Hyde 66). Subs (not used): Benstead, Peters, Bailey.

Boston United: Kirby, Harper, Ryan, Albrighton, Stevens, Ryan, Hall, Cook, Forbes, Elding, Galbraith. Subs (all used): Chinn, Doherty, Mitchell, Talbot, Brooks, Forbes, Joyce, Martin, Omari-Kingh, Raynor.

Referee: G Sandall (Norwich)

Lynn's scheduled friendly at Conference South outfit Thurrock on Saturday has been cancelled.