Lawrence Dodd wins Thetford Golf Club’s Winter Pro-Am series after great back nine
Lawrence Dodd claimed a narrow victory in the latest event in Thetford Golf Club's Winter Pro-Am series.
Scoring was tough and it was a tight battle at the top of the leaderboard with Bury St Edmunds Golf Range Professional Dodd shooting the round of the day with a two under par 70. He started off slowly and was one over par having played nine holes. However, he then reeled off three birdies on the trot to get to two under par.
A steady finish meant that he pipped playing partner and East Region Professional order of merit winner Jason Levermore by a single shot when the Clacton professional missed a short putt on the final green for a bogey and a score of 71. In third place was Ben Kerr from the West Suffolk Golf Club whose 72 would have been so much better but for a triple bogey seven on the fourth hole and a bogey on the relatively simple par five 13th.
Dodd's day was made complete with a win alongside amateur partner, 15 handicapper Geoff Hobden-Clarke. Geoff managed to improve the team score by four points as the pair posted 42 points. Most importantly on the penultimate hole, he scored a nett birdie for three points as Dodd struggled with a bogey.
On the same points score of 42, but with a poorer back nine, thus losing on countback, were Ben Kerr and Matt Hartley.
You may also want to watch:
Levermore came in third one shot back playing with 13 handicapper and former Norwich City footballer Rob Newman.
In the Am/Am event Essex dominated the show for the second month running. Kevin Prince teamed up with Colchester clubmate David Blackmore to run away with first place on 45 points. This saw them finish four points clear of the rest of the field.
- 1 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 2 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 4 Man and woman found dead in home
- 5 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 9 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
- 10 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
The Christmas meeting takes place on Thursday December 20.
Professional medal: Lawrence Dodd (Bury Golf Range) 70, Jason Levermore (Clacton) 71, Ben Kerr (West Suffolk) 72
Pro-am: Lawrence Dodd, Geoff Hobden-Clarke (Bury Golf Range) 42; Ben Kerr (West Suffolk), Matt Hartley (Newmarket) 42; Jason Levermore (Clacton), Rob Newman (Norwich) 41
Am-am: Kevin Prince, David Blackmore (Colchester) 45; John Dornan, Gary Driver (Colchester) 41; Paul Chalmers, Steve Wood (Colchester) 41