Late goals settle the issue in Dereham’s favour
- Credit: Ian Burt
Dereham Town picked up an excellent three points after a close game at fifth-placed Cheshunt.
The Magpies had an early warning shot fired across their bows when Jack Lampe headed Liam Hope's free-kick narrowly wide of the target.
But it clearly did little to unsettle them as on nine minutes they went ahead with a well-worked goal. Joe Gatting found Will Sainsbury-Logan just outside the box and he played a short pass to Danny Beaumont who netted from close range.
The Magpies continued to play constructive football, although Jason Hallett thumped a free-kick inches wide. As the home side pressed again, Dereham defender Dion Frary made a vital last-ditch clearance to deny Hope.
However, the home forward did net the equaliser for Cheshunt in the 33rd minute. Hallett cushioned George Lataaya's ball from the right into the path of Hope who beat keeper Josh Glover with a firm low drive.
You may also want to watch:
Minutes later the Dereham keeper made an excellent save to palm Luke Marshall's fierce 20-yarder over the top. Then, just before half-time, Lataaya fired a 25-yard volley over the top.
Glover was called into action again after the break when made a great save to keep out Hallett's header from Lataaya's corner before denying Hope from point-blank range from the rebound.
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 4 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 5 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 9 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
Dereham went ahead again on 70 minutes when David Hinton found Adam Smith on the left of the box. Smith progressed before squaring to Gatting to tap home from close range.
Home keeper May then denied Gatting at point blank range as the visitors looked to increase their advantage.
Dereham's decisive third goal came when Smith spread play wide to Beaumont on the left and he delivered a low cross to Hinton, who cut inside before firing home in the 86th minute
On time Hallett slid home a cross from the right to set up a tense finale, but Dereham hung on to take the points, with skipper Dan Morphew and Dion Frary outstanding in defence.
Dereham: Glover, Costandachi, Abodunde, Hinton, Frary, Morphew, Logan (Nhiwatiwa 95), Smith, Gatting, Sainsbury-Logan, Beaumont (Grant 95). Sub not used: P Wiltshire. Ref: N Morrison. Att: 131.