Late controversy costs Bulls dear

ENFIELD IGNATIAN 14, BECCLES 10: Beccles will be spending much of this week questioning how they failed to win a game they dominated from the off.

The tone was set within the first few minutes when the Beccles pack drove the ball deep into the home 22. When the drive was brought to a halt for a minor infringement, the referee immediately turned this into a penalty for questioning the decision, allowing Enfield to clear their lines. It would prove the story of the game.

Enfield were first on the score sheet after some driving into the Beccles half resulted in a penalty which was soon followed by another to give the home side a six-point lead.

The Beccles pack once more drove play into the opposition half and following some good phases of play from Ling, Lake and Porter the ball was spun wide to young full-back Rayner who rounded his man before passing to Davey-Durak on the wing. From 15 yards out the young winger then used his power to run through his opposite number before touching down in the corner. Wade stepped up to slot the extra points.

Beccles continued to use their dominance in the set-piece to pound the opposition. But time and again the speed of the referee's whistle and their own failure to respond continued to allow Enfield to relieve the pressure.

The second half started like the first with Enfield slotting a penalty to take a two-point lead before starting to take the game to Beccles, leading to a try in the corner.

But Beccles responded by repeatedly spinning the ball wide for man of the match Rayner to rip through the home defence but with little reward.

Most Read

With time running out Wade converted a penalty to bring Beccles within four points. And the game reached a controversial climax when Rayner again cut through before off loading to Davey-Durak, who powered his way to within yards of the line.

With Beccles being awarded a scrum five yards out the pack drove over the line and were ready to touch down when the Enfield winger came off-side and stole the ball out of sight of the referee to save the game.