Lafferty on target as City Under-21s suffer narrow defeat
- Credit: JASON DAWSON
Norwich City U-21s 1 Manchester Cty Under-21s 2
Kyle Lafferty marked his run-out for Norwich City's Under-21s with a well taken goal on Friday night – but he still ended up on the losing side after a dramatic finish.
It appeared that the Northern Ireland striker's goal on the hour mark would earn the hosts a draw but a last-gasp penalty from Manchester City's Sinan Bytyqi denied them what would have been a hard earned point.
The first half was a cagey affair with neither side creating many chances as both looked to get a foothold in the game.
Tony Andreu – playing as an overage player along with Lafferty and Vadis Odjidja Ofoe, came closest for the home side as his shot beat keeper Angus Gunn before rattling the crossbar. The ex-Canary stopper was called into action again just after the break as he got down quickly to deny Lafferty.
You may also want to watch:
But the young Blues took the lead in the 53rd minute through Rodney Kongolo. Bytyqi swung a corner to the back post and the Dutch midfielder was on hand to apply the finishing touch.
The lead didn't last long however as the Canaries had pulled level within seven minutes. Andreu put Lafferty in and the fronman fired home from close range to make it 1-1.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 4 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 5 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 6 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 7 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 8 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 9 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach
Both teams looked for a winner as the clocked ticked towards the final whistle and it was the visitors who managed to find one in the dying minutes.
Brandon Barker was brought down in the box and Austrian midfielder Bytyqi stepped up from 12 yards to secure the three points.
Norwich City Under-21s: Matthews, Hall-Johnson, Crowe, Efete, Uade, Godfrey, Grant, Odjidja (Eaton-Collins 82), Andreu, Ashley-Seal (Middleton 48), Lafferty (Adams 87). Unused subs: Oxborough (GK), Adams, Coker.