Kirkley and Pakefield hold leaders as Leiston continue to climb

Kirkley and Pakefield held league leaders Dereham Town to a 0-0 draw at Walmer Road yesterday.

Ryan Crisp almost put the hosts ahead in the first half when he waltzed his way into the area past a couple of Dereham defenders but his shot cannoned back off a post.

Leading scorer Danny Beaumont was denied a goal on the stroke of half-time when his shot was blocked on the line by a team-mate.

Beamount hit the bar in the second half, while home forward Ryan Crisp forced a fine save from Shaun Marshall.

Ryan De Coteau's back-heel was cleared off the line and Scott Martin's header was tipped over the bar as the hosts pushed for a late winner while Dereham had two penalty appeals turned down.

Leiston's romp up the table continued with a crushing 4-0 victory at second-placed Wroxham.

Wroxham had been unbeaten in ten games but were no match for the rampant visitors. Danny Smy put them ahead on the stroke of half-time and second-half goals from Leon Ottley-Gooch (2) and Michael Brothers pushed Leiston to within ten points of Dereham but with five games in hand.

Most Read

Great Yarmouth are celebrating after chalking up their first home league win of the season. A 3-2 victory over Walsham-le-Willows ended a run of 11 draws and defeats at The Wellesley. The visitors twice led but Yarmouth hit back through Gavin Norman (2) and Scott Woodcock.

Wisbech Town overtook opponents Mildenhall Town with a comfortable 3-0 win at Fenland Stadium.

Ashley Stevens and Callum Reed struck two goals just before half-time and Lewis Thompson added the third after the break.

In Division One, Downham Town crashed to an 8-2 defeat at new leaders Cambridge University Press.

Downham took a seventh minute lead but trailed 5-1 at the interval with man of the match Ali Hakimi grabbing a hat-trick. It was the visitors who again scored first in the second half but the hosts responded with three more unanswered goals.

Previous leaders Stowmarket Town were held 1-1 at Ipswich Wanderers but third-placed Diss Town failed to close the gap, losing 1-0 at Fakenham Town.

The only goal of the game came after 80 minutes when Jason Day sent a rising drive into the net from outside the penalty area.

Thetford Town had not played in the league since November 20 and their rustiness showed as they slipped to a 3-1 defeat at struggling Team Bury.

In the day's only First Division Cup game, a single goal was enough to earn Gorleston progress at Swaffham Town.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter