FULL-TIME: King’s Lynn Town v Curzon Ashton

PUBLISHED: 16:45 24 August 2019 | UPDATED: 20:04 24 August 2019

King's Lynn Town's Aaron Jones Picture: Ian Burt

King's Lynn Town's Aaron Jones Picture: Ian Burt


King’s Lynn Town came from behind to stretch their unbeaten run to five games and move up to second place in National League North.

King's Lynn Town came from behind to stretch their unbeaten run to five games and move up to second place in National League North.

Two goals each from strikers Adam Marriott and Michael Gash earned Lynn a 4-1 home win over Curzon Ashton after a clinical performance.

The game had started almost an hour late after the bus carrying the Curzon team suffered mechanical problems on the journey to Norfolk.

Aaron Jones was heavily involved in both Lynn goals in the first half, having come close himself after just two minutes when he curled a right-footer which was inches wide of the far post.

But the delayed kick-off seemed to effect Lynn - missing centre-half Chris Smith with a minor hamstring injury - more than Curzon, who made a much better start.

Sean Miller went for goal from a tight angle for the visitor, keeper Alex Street able to pad it out for a corner.

Robert Evans then put one past Street's right post from 20 yards.

It was a good start for the visitors, especially given their travel issues, and they deservedly went ahead on 12 minutes when Callum Saunders was played in by Luke Merrill and slid the ball past Street from 15 yards - definitely in the style of father Dean, the former Liverpool and Wales striker, who was watching from the directors' box.

Marriott almost got an immediate reply, but from close range his effort was blocked by keeper Cameron Mason, hit a post and was scrambled to safety.

You may also want to watch:

But Curzon almost doubled their lead on 17 minutes when the excellent Miller tried from distance, beating Street but seeing the ball come off the top of the bar.

Lynn slowly got their way into the game and they got the break on 33 minutes when Jones' cross from the right hit Josh Askew on the arm and after ref Brennan consulted his assistant, he pointed to the spot. Marriott stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way to make it all square.

Six minutes before the break, Jones was involved again, his deep cross from the right met perfectly by Gash who put a trademark header into the back of the net.

Lynn defender Rory McAuley had the best early chance after the break, meeting Alfie Payne's cross but heading straight at the keeper.

Gash showed him how to do it on 61 minutes, this time meeting a cross from the left by Alfie Payne and powering the header past Mason.

A minute later it was game over as Payne, Gash and Marriott combined well for Marriott to slip it past the keeper.

Curzon were visibly wilting under Lynn's onslaught, although Jones should have done better than blaze over after breaking into the area.

Lynn: Street, Jones, Fryatt, McAuley, Fox, Jarvis (Richards 63), Clunan, Payne (Carey 72), Henderson (Kelly 54), Gash, Marriott. Subs not used: Barrows, Stewart.

Curzon: Mason, Halls, Askew, Wroe (Elstone 84), Ali, Thornley, Merrill, Evans, Saunders (Bannister 70), Miller, Regan (Davies 46). Subs not used: Wall, Banister, Sinclair.

Att: 833

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press