King’s Lynn Town v St Ives Town – Linnets hoping to stretch their unbeaten run
- Credit: Archant
King's Lynn Town will be looking to get the new year off to the perfect start when they face St Ives in the Evo-stik Southern Premier Division today (3pm).
It's the third meeting between the teams this season, but first in the league. Lynn went out of the League Cup on penalties to St Ives in October but then beat them 1-0 in the FA Trophy in November.
And both teams go into this afternoon's clash at The Walks in good form – Gary Setchell's Linnets are unbeaten in seven league games and sit comfortably in 14th place in the table – a place and three points behind the visitors. They last played on Boxing Day, when they came away from Kettering Town with a hard-earned 1-1 draw. St Ives meanwhile are unbeaten in eight.
Visiting boss Ricky Marheineke said: 'We have to be delighted with the progress we have made, but our target remains to reach 48 points as quickly as possible. That's the number we believe we need to be certain of staying up. If and when we get there, we'll re-assess.'
Marheineke's squad has been boosted by the return of captain Charlie De'Ath after being sidelined for 11 games with an infected gash to his ankle. And utility man Scott Sinclair is also back in full training after being out for 10 matches.
You may also want to watch:
Marheineke added: 'I think we're all disappointed to see 2016 come to an end because it has been such a memorable year for the club.'
St Ives' squad includes former Norwich City player Josh Dawkin and goalkeeper Ollie Sutton, son of former Canaries star Chris.
- 1 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 2 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 3 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 6 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 7 Floral tributes left to driver killed in A148 crash
- 8 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 9 Driver escapes serious injury after 4x4 flips onto roof
- 10 Delays as 23m-long caravan travels through Norfolk