King’s Lynn Town boss Gary Setchell delighted as Linnets battle for a point at Whitby

Lynn's George Thomson scored for Lynn at Whitby. Picture: Ian Burt

Lynn's George Thomson scored for Lynn at Whitby. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: IAN BURT

King's Lynn Town manager Gary Setchell praised his 10-man side's 'togetherness' after they twice came from behind to snatch a point.

George Thomson's late leveller earned the Linnets a share of the spoils against the Seasiders, who failed to take advantage of their numerical advantage following the early dismissal of Henry Eze.

Eze was shown a straight red card for the second time this season after bringing down last-man Steve Snaith 15 minutes into the contest.

Setchell said: 'Forget the point and forget the league table – if my players keep showing the same commitment in training and in games then we will get our just desserts.

'Five hours on a coach, down to 10 men after a few minutes and a goal down, teams fold in those situations.

You may also want to watch:

'Whitby will rue missed chances and my goalkeeper has played very well again, but my players kept going and going and they are so together as a group. Michael Frew's work rate typified us today and I thought Gregg (Smith) and him up front were a massive plus for us.'

On Eze's red card, Setchell said: 'I don't think it was a red card for love nor money. I thought Henry has done great to get back, but it's a tough one for the referee.

Most Read

'When you are the last man in the situation he was, the referee has got a very tough decision to make, because if he deems it a foul it's a red card as they are the rules.'

Playing into a swirling wind and a man down early on, Lynn struggled to get out of their own half for long periods of the first period. Eze got the faintest of touches to bring down Snaith but, fortunately for Lynn, Dave McTiernan saw his penalty saved by Alex Street.

Seven minutes before the interval, Matthew Brown converted a Snaith cross which was deflected in off the head of Ross Watson.

Lynn were back on level terms four minutes after the restart when Smith knocked the ball down to Frew, who unleashed an unstoppable shot on the half-volley past Shane Bland from 20 yards.

The Blues regained the lead in the 64th minute when McTiernan produced a stunning strike from the edge of the box.

Street denied James Brown with a brilliant save with his legs, Snaith dragged an effort across the face of goal and Liam Shephard struck the post as the Whitby onslaught continued.

But Lynn refused to cave in and shortly after McTiernan had scrambled David Bell's corner off the line, the same player saw his shot saved by Bland before Thomson prodded home the loose ball for his 19th goal in all competitions this season.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter