King’s Lynn Town add even more firepower to their ranks by signing goal-machine Leon Mettam
King's Lynn Town proved they mean business under Stephen Cleeve by unveiling a stunning transfer coup last night.
New Linnets owner Cleeve had promised to increase manager Gary Setchell's budget as he eyes a serious promotion push during his first season in charge at The Walks. And he appeared to stay true to his promise when highly-rated striker Leon Mettam was unveiled as the club's latest summer signing at a fans' forum.
The 29-year-old, who signed a two-year contract, has been a long-term target of Setchell after plundering 45 Northern League Premier Division goals for Worksop Town when they played in the same league as Lynn in 2013/14.
A move to higher-level Tamworth at the end of that phenomenal season put paid to those hopes. But now Lynn's boss has finally got his man – who along with fellow new recruit John Sands should form arguably the most lethal strikeforce in the Southern League Premier Division next term.
Setchell, who also signed Great Yarmouth Town left winger Declan McAvoy yesterday, said: 'Scoring goals was a big problem for us last season. Probably that was the difference between us really giving it a go for the top five (play-offs) and not.
You may also want to watch:
'Bringing John and Leon into the squad means hopefully my striker drought will be over. When your top scorer is not a frontline striker that's a problem.
'We knew we had to address the goal situation. You've got two goalscorers who are proven goalscorers at Step Three and Leon's done it at a level above for Tamworth. I don't think goals are going to be a problem this year.'
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 4 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 7 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Loan possibility remains for Skipp
Attacking midfielder Lee Stevenson found the net 16 times last term to top score for Lynn. Sands' season-ending loan spell saw him register six times in 10 outings while Mettam – who spent a month on loan at Lynn two seasons ago – netted three times in five appearances during his previous stint at The Walks in 2015.