King’s Lynn Town 3, Sleaford 3
King's Lynn Town conceded a heart-breaking late equaliser after fighting back from 2-0 down in last night's United Counties League clash at The Walks.
Luke Thurlbourne and Jack Defty (2) netted for the home side with Liam Turnstall, Liam Wright and Simon Bolland scoring for the visitors.
Town boss Gary Setchell welcomed back goalkeeper Alex Street, centre-half Stuart Wall and central midfielder Danny White into the last night's starting 11.
After a sluggish start from the hosts, Sleaford took a lead with their first real effort of the game on 11 minutes. Street failed to hold a deflected drive from Bolland and Turnstall took full advantage to open the scoring.
Lynn almost hit straight back with two set pieces from Stephen Spriggs in quick succession. Both fell to Defty, who forced Douglas Lindberg into two decent saves. Defty again went close on 17 minutes, an acrobatic overhead kick finding Lindberg in top form.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors doubled their lead with a swift counter-attack as Ryan Fryatt lost the ball to Pete Sutton who crossed for Wright to tap home.
The Linnets kept knocking at the door and came close when captain Russ Watson's rasping drive was deflected over the Sleaford crossbar. They eventually pulled a goal back on 36 minutes thanks to a right foot thunderbolt from the excellent Luke Thurlbourne, and that was the way it stayed until half-time.
- 1 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 2 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 3 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 4 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 5 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 6 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 7 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 8 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 9 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 10 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk
The home side didn't take long to level the scores after the break, Defty powering home a trademark header after a floated cross from Spriggs. Lynn had their tails up now and threatened minutes later through Robbie Harris, as the returning forward failed to find the net after another Spriggs cross.
Buhlemann was the next to go close for the Linnets, the substitute firing inches wide after some neat interplay with Spriggs.
The home side finally went in front with only five minutes left on the clock with another trademark far post header from that man Defty. It was no more than the home side deserved.
Sleaford came within inches of an equaliser in the 88th minute, when substitute Dominic Kew fired over from inside the box.
But they did deny Lynn two points right at the death after Street dropped a long free-kick and Bolland nodded home. It was the last meaningful touch of a frenetic evening at The Walks.
• King's Lynn Town: Street, Fryatt (Buhlemann), Yong, Watson, Wall, White, Spriggs, L.Thurlbourne, Defty, Moreira (Harris), Beaumont. Unused Subs: Johnson, Coe, Biles. Goals: Thurlbourne (36), Harris (46) Defty (85).
• Sleaford Town: Lindberg, Tunnicliffe, Greenwood, Popple (Kew), Ward, Braithwaite, Wright (Shaw), Sedlan, Turnstall (Musson), Bolland, Sutton. Goals: Turnstall (11), Wright (30), Bolland (90). Bookings: Sutton, Greenwood, Turnstall, Sedlan, Ward.
• MOM: Stephen Spriggs
• Attendance: 506