King’s Lynn Town 2 Fakenham Town 0 – Linnets keep their cool to withstand spirited effort from Ghosts in Norfolk Senior Cup final
The Norfolk Senior Cup will return to the trophy cabinet at The Walks for the first time in eight years – as Norwich City legend Ian Culverhouse fittingly won his first trophy as a manager at Carrow Road.
Michael Clunan's penalty and Ryan Fryatt's header were enough for the Linnets to lift the trophy for the first time since the club was reformed in 2010 and the first time since their reserves beat Wroxham in 2009.
Fakenham did their best to rattle the higher-level Linnets early on but were thankful to keeper Tommy Rix as he smothered a close-range header from Sam Warburton.
Culverhouse's side took the lead in the 20th minute though when Rix charged out to try and beat Ryan Hawkins to the ball and saw a penalty given against him despite limited contact, with Lynn skipper Clunan sweeping the spot-kick towards the top-left corner.
Seven minutes later Warburton's low shot from 15 yards prompted Rix into another fine save, using his feet to keep his team in the match.
You may also want to watch:
The Fakenham fans were delighted to see Hawkins booked in the 30th minute – after his involvement in the penalty – for a tackle which left Lynn boss Culverhouse furiously pointing at left-back Stuart Garner for going down dramatically.
Fryatt missed a golden chance when unmarked at the back post late in the second half but made up for it when doubling King's Lynn's lead in the 71st minute.
- 1 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 2 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 3 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 5 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 6 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
- 9 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'
- 10 Twin Bakes sell out of treats during first pop-up sale
The goal came after a spirited push from the Ghosts early in the second half, with Josh Youngs heading wide and two Kyle Plumb shots denied by late blocks, before a goal-saving tackle from Sam Garner denied Ryan Harnwell.
However, the resulting corner from the left from Warburton was met by Fryatt at the back post, whose looping header found the back of the net from eight yards.
King's Lynn: Street; Hawkins, Tom Ward, Gaughran, Yong; Shipp (Chris Ward 90), Clunan (C), Zielonka, Warburton (McQuaid 85); Hawkins, Harnwell (Lennon 79). Unused subs: Pearson (GK), McLeish
Fakenham: Rix, Sam Garner, Youngs (Williams 76), Gilchrist, Stuart Garner; Abbott, Harvey (C – Akers 79), Franks, Dye; Plumb (Glover 79), Jarvis. Unused subs: Cary, Colman