King’s Lynn Town 0 Frome Town 0: Linnets boss Ian Culverhouse won’t bow to crowd pressure

King's Lynn Town boss Ian Culverhouse on the touchline. Picture Matthew Usher.

King's Lynn Town boss Ian Culverhouse on the touchline. Picture Matthew Usher.

Ian Culverhouse has vowed to stick to his principles as the Linnets dropped their first points of the season.

After three wins in a row, Lynn were left frustrated by a Frome team who were well organised, but dominated for large parts of the game by a Lynn side which could not turn possession into goals.

The Linnets boss was frustrated at the outcome – and at some sections of the crowd.

'I am proud of them (the players) because they passed the ball, they kept passing it, didn't get caught up in what the crowd wanted,' he said.

'I must say I am a bit disappointed with the crowd. I am not going to change. This is the way we are going to play.

You may also want to watch:

'I understand the frustration – they want the ball in the box as much as possible, but we have a set pattern of play and I am not going to change that, so it's a bit disappointing today to hear 'just boot it forward'. These players won't be doing that.'

Lynn endured an edgy start, with a early routine save by keeper Alex Street, who was also called upon moments later, cutting out the danger after Sam Gaughran lost possession on the halfway line.

Most Read

But Lynn countered well, with Michael Clunan stinging keeper Kyle Phillips' fingers.

The best of the early chances came when Tom Siddons set Leon Mettam free down the left channel, but his left-foot shot was just wide of the far post.

Ryan Hawkins saw an effort blocked and Mettam shot straight at the keeper, then headed inches wide from Clunan's free-kick from the right.

Mettam forced Phillips into a good stop early in the second half, although Lynn needed a moment of brilliance from Ryan Fryatt, who got a block in to deny Jake Jackson a shot from close range after a Chas Hemmings header came back off the woodwork.

Cameron Norman fired into the side netting and Lynn sub Craig Gillies turned well on edge of the area, but firing his effort narrowly wide.

The match ended with the Frome goal under siege, but with Lynn unable to apply the telling touch.

King's Lynn: Street, Norman, Blake-Tracy, Gaughran, Fryatt, Jarvis, Clunan, Parker (Ward 82), Siddons (Gillies 67), Mettam, Hawkins (Hilliard 82). Subs: Ward, Hilliard, Gillies, Whayman. Booked: Mettam

Frome: Phillips, K Miller, Withey, Teale (Hobbs 28), Mapstone, Hemmings, Davies, G Miller, Jackson (Page 67), Raynes, Jeffries (Knight 60). Subs: Knight, Page, Hobbs, Griffiths, Price. Booked: Davies, Knight

Attendance: 948

Ref: P Burnham (Wymondham)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus