King’s Lynn to co-operate fully with FA probe

The FA have requested photographic and video evidence as part of their investigation into the ugly scenes that marred King's Lynn's weekend Vase semi-final exit.

Town officials will co-operate fully with the footballing authorities following the crowd disorder that halted the tie towards the end of Lynn's 3-2 second leg defeat at The Walks.

An FA spokesman confirmed they have now written to both clubs after receiving the match official's report which included details of the late flashpoint when police and stewards intervened to keep rival fans apart.

Town chairman Buster Chapman has already pledged to ban any home supporters involved in the trouble and club officials also plan to request police CCTV footage which is likely to form part of the FA's on-going investigation. Police made two arrests for public order offences outside the ground immediately following the game and have warned more could follow once officers have carried out further inquiries.

The FA spokesman said: 'The referee has reported the incident of crowd disturbance. We will be writing to both clubs for their observations. They are not scenes we want to see in one of our flagship competitions.'

Linnets' joint boss Gary Setchell hopes any possible FA action takes into account the good behaviour of the overwhelming majority in a club record 2,354 crowd.

'No-one wants to see that because football is not about that,' he said. 'The fans have come here in huge numbers and supported us well but unfortunately you do get the odd one or two who think it is an excuse to come and go haywire.

Most Read

'To be honest from the technical area I didn't see too much of what was going on. I hope common sense can prevail and we don't get tarred because believe me that doesn't happen here every week.

'There was an incident in the first half when the Coalville fans were up the fence as much as the Lynn fans so it's a difficult one to try and blame one side or the other, but I hope the club doesn't get in any trouble.'

The referee's match report also documents an earlier second half incident involving the Coalville coaching staff and subs who clashed verbally with supporters stationed around the away dugout.

A roof panel on the Coalville dugout was smashed following Matt Gardner's 70th minute winner and Ravens' manager Adam Stevens was seen clearly passing a banana to the fourth official after objects had allegedly been thrown towards the away technical area.

Stevens claimed post-match his players were subject to racial abuse throughout the game, although West Norfolk police confirmed at the weekend they had received no official complaints.

'That was 1970s stuff and it doesn't have a place in football. It just isn't acceptable,' he said. 'I did not think stuff like that still went on. There was plenty of racial abuse throughout the game. It's a shame because we have had two cracking matches and now have a Wembley final to look forward to.'